Tuesday, June 17, 2008

An Ode To Azrael

.:Speaking Of Shows...:.

I've been meaning to take my show outside of Manila lately... thankfully, there's an affordable hotel in Davao City. Needless to say, I'm looking to taking the show over there. Soon.

.:Azrael's Last Dance? Say It Ain't So!!!:.

As Jay Mata and I went to wow the people in attendance at the 7th ToyCon in Megatrade for the second straight day, the feeling of impending doom was slowly permeating the atmosphere for the people who knew what was going to happen at the end of the day.

You see, despite the massively successful 2 days for the ToyCon, after all has been said and done, this is, according to Azrael Coladilla, organizer of the ToyCon, going to be his last ToyCon.

Say it ain't so, Az!

The Philippine Toy Convention is one of the biggest, most anticipated events in the country, bar none. People of all ages come together to celebrate their inner child in time with the event, not to mention the sheer energy as creative juices rush among the cosplayers who compete both in the individual and group categories. To say that people will sorely miss Az's presence if ToyCon 2009 happens without him would be an understatement.

My personal experience with Azrael has been nothing but pleasant. Since the 6th ToyCon, I've been a regular fixture in the ToyCons as a street magician (There was a Christmas ToyCon in between the 6th and 7th.), where I plied my craft on the ToyCon crowd, who are nothing if not appreciative of the entertainment. This is where I debuted the famous Blindfolded Rubik's Solve: an effect that from its initial performance I have mastered and been capable of doing nearly anytime, anywhere.

Personally, I owe much of my current success in magic and mentalism to Azrael giving me the opportunity to perform at his event. From having one of my earlier experiences for performing onstage in a convention to the sheer challenge of performing street magic for all sorts of people, and even to giving my contact number to potential clients including Alaska, Azrael's help has been invaluable to me, and during the 7th ToyCon, to my partner as well, Jay Mata.

Azrael, thank you for being one of the biggest supporters of not only toys, but cosplayers and even street magicians, bar none. You have no idea how much your contributions meant to us, and how sorely they will be missed. Regardless of that, however, we are still honored by your labor of love, and if this was indeed your last dance with the ToyCon, then you went out in a blaze of glory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boo! I didn't see you at the ToyCon and I was there for two days straight, too.