Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Project 52 (39/52): Unwell - Matchbox Twenty

.:Project 52 (39/52): Unwell - Matchbox Twenty:.


Really. I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell...

With all the crazy hurly-burly going on in my life right now, I think this song really hits the spot. I find myself going from day to day, just going through the motions and doing everything it takes to forget that I'm still walking wounded. September couldn't end soon enough. Really, it can't.

Matchbox Twenty is one of my favorite bands of all time. Yeah, I know, a lot of people hate them, but I am a proud fan. This song, along with Sugarfree's "Mariposa" provided two of my personal anthems in 2004-2005, and, needless to say, I really, really like the message of "Unwell", because it just speaks out to everyone who has ever had a bad year or so, and is woefully self-aware of this fact. The kind of pain one has to go through to be fully cognizant of being unwell is unquestionably great, but the optimism of believing that this isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all would be awesome, too.

Matchbox Twenty has had a lot of hits over the years, from "Push" to "Bent" and to a host of other songs, but in my opinion, this is the best one out of their discography, hands down. I just find it very interesting that what I initially thought to be a complete hardcore rock group turned out to be a pretty bleeding-heart one instead - and I'm not even complaining about that, which makes it doubly surprising to me.

In any case, this is one of my favorite songs of all time. Matchbox Twenty has been pretty awesome, and while I know it's tempting to have a Westlife song here because they're having a concert in Manila tomorrow, maybe I should save that for next week. for now, let's just say that this song goes out to everyone who's having a bad time right now. Don't worry: you're not crazy, you're just a little unwell. And you too can get through this.

Like I keep saying every single year: wake me up when September ends. Although, yeah, there's no need to feature Green Day this time, since it's practically tradition by now for me to sing that song...

No comments: