Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Book Review: A Lion's Tale

This book review is made possible by this network monitoring service. Never take it for granted.

.:Book Review: A Lion’s Tale - Around The World In Spandex:.

Chris Jericho’s gripping and entertainingly-written book “A Lion’s Tale” was a purchase I made because I was hankering for a good helping of a good wrestler biography. The fact of the matter is, when I looked in Fully Booked to see what was good to get, I realized that there wasn’t much left in the way of good wrestling books. You couldn’t find Eric Bischoff, or Mick Foley’s sequels, and there was a disgusting surplus of Batista’s book, which just made me retch.

I thought about getting a 5x5 Rubik’s cube for a while, but changed my mind when Charo let me try hers and I fumbled at it horribly. I think I’ll stick to the 3x3 cubes for now, then…

Having said that, reading Chris Jericho’s autobiography was a lot of fun. His humor style was exceedingly catchy, not to mention the fact that he had so many interesting stories, and a clearly sympathetic stance towards Chris Benoit in the book, highlighted by him saying that “the Chris Benoit I knew was not the one who killed his wife and kid before killing himself.”

To say that the book was a great read is an understatement. Chris Jericho is a phenomenal wrestler who has traveled from Mexico to Germany to Japan to the United States, hailed from the Hart Dungeon, and is the first-ever Undisputed Champion in the history of the WWE, having won both the WWE and WCW championships off of The Rock and Stonecold Steve Austin on the same night. Chris Jericho has pretty much done it all, and it’s all about the love for the business that he exudes whenever he talks about his odyssey into the WWE in what appears to be the first of a pair or trilogy of books about the storied life of Chris Jericho.

If you like wrestling, this is one of the must-read books in the burgeoning ranks of wrestler bio/autobiographies.

Evaluation: A

No comments: