Thursday, November 20, 2003

My string of luck obviously had to end at one time or another…

Apparently, my Theology professor, Mr. Dy-Liaco, was handed down an order to no longer allow internal transfers. Of course, being a Theology professor and all, this ensured that he wouldn’t be disobeying such an order anytime soon… such a retransfer would essentially mean that my classes on M-W-F start at 8:30, which in itself is not a problem for me, as I can wake up early enough to begin with. The problem does step in when we consider that this means I have to find a way to resolve its inevitable conflict with my Radio 1 schedule. What this essentially means to me is that my enjoyment of the Morning Rush will be cut short on some days, AND my training for Radio 1 will either be extremely short at about only an hour or so per pop, or I need to overhaul my training schedule completely. I’m sure as Hades not prepared to do that.

To make matters worse, I seem to have botched his first quiz… while it’s 5% of my final grade, so it shouldn’t really unsettle me too much, I still feel that it was my irresponsibility that got me that wake-up call to not be lax with this semester, of all semesters. Quite a stern reminder, actually, that I should still act as though I’m after a 4.0, so that if I do need a 3.7 and aimed for a 4.0 instead, falling short of that mark wouldn’t be so bad, as falling short of 3.7, neh? Ah, well.

Grace is going to have a three-day retreat where Ichi and madame sky got married. I’m fairly skeptical of the value of retreats, but I hope that whatever happens, it makes a positive impact on Grace. She’s been having a lot of undeserved stress being piled up on her as of late, and I do believe she deserves far better than that. Here’s to a more refreshed and energetic her after the retreat…

I’ve already seen Matrix Revolutions for a second time, and I do believe this calls for an eventual review of the film. Let’s see the things I owe all of you already: a top five list, a review of the Phone, a review of the Rundown, a review of Identity, a review of Matrix Revolutions, hmm… three papers on the Matrix entitled “We’ve Been Had”, “Aletheia Revisited”, and “The Onetological Argument”; and a translation of my Philosophy paper on freedom and the existence of God. Quite a load of work I have cut out for me, but I don’t mind, really. I’ll get to work with most of them soon enough…

So what else is there left for me to speak of? I seem to be completely lackluster with my writing as of late, and I’m not too inclined to make any promises on whether or not that will change soon. Far as I know, I really just write what and when I feel like writing, and I can only hope that it is met with approval. What I do believe I would like to take a shot at talking a bit more about is what Imo had to say about defending our course…

First of all, she’s already said everything that had to be said: No one has the right to say that AB Communication is JUST AB Communication, much less believe that an idiot can actually get Cum Laude grades if they’re in Comm Arts, but not necessarily so if they’re in, say, BS Management. It doesn’t necessarily follow. People take their courses obviously because they want to work in the future, but some have the somewhat enviable advantage of ALSO picking a course that they would enjoy, and not just take merely for the sake of graduating and ensuring a high-paying job. Here is where I focus my attention on, far more than Imo actually did in her piece, by giving a very simple case in point. Let’s talk about a certain friend I have who took a course that many people cry over, yet this person in particular not only takes it all in stride, but even with a big smile on her face. Yes, let’s take Sacha Chua as a clear example.

Is Computer Science hard? I’ve taken the basic class (as a sit-in) for a semester, and I would have to concede that yes, it really is. Is it enjoyable? That’s a matter of opinion, but since my grades were never involved in the equation, then personally, I’d say “yes”. Bottom line is, in Sacha’s case, you just KNOW she loves the subject. It’s almost a substitute for that three-letter word that starts with an “s” and rhymes with “pecks”, as far as she’s concerned. On second thought, yeah, it IS a substitute for her… but I digress.

Is this perhaps to say that Sacha is some godlike figure who should be revered for being so good in Computer Science as most Comm students are in their course? Hades, give me a break. She’d be the first to admit that she’s far from anything godlike. In case most of you didn’t know, she didn’t exactly graduate with honors, and you can attribute it to her little premium for grades. More important to her would be the learning experience, and as Smith would say, “it is inevitable” to have fun for her, and that is, after all, what counts. Sacha picked Computer Sicence not because it was easy, but because it was what she believed would make her feel fulfilled, more than anything else. It’s not such a difficult concept to get a hold of, when you think about it, really. It’s all about trying to put one’s self into the other’s shoes, and seeing if one is actually capable of excelling the way another has excelled. While this in no way intends to mean that different courses are 100% equitable, it likewise means that there are more than one ways to skin a cat. And exactly how many cliché’s have I been dropping here already? ::laughs::

So we scan the horizon for people who complain about their courses, and bemoan the fact that a Comm major seems to be breezing through their subjects. I’ll concede one fact: I will most likely be working under the next BS Management major who comes along. They will most likely have more fun than I would , financially speaking, after graduation. That, in no way, tells me that being a Comm major is cheap in any way, whatsoever. I am personally enjoying myself where I am. Place me in a different course, and I most likely will not, nor will I feel any fulfillment in there. What this essentially boils down to is what the person is more inclined to do, and don’t even think for one moment that coming up with ideas for advertising, or writing news articles, is going to be a walk in the park compared to making a thorough accounting of what ABS-CBN made in block time revenues last year. If you love numbers, numbers will be easy and/or fun for you. If you like writing, writing will be easy and/or fun for you. It just so happens that this is the status quo for most Comm majors. Don’t think for one moment that it’s guaranteed that it will easily work for you. As the cliché saying goes, “Objects in the rear view mirror appear closer than they are”.

Otherwise, Sacha should already be posing in FHM as the next movie star Viva wants to add to the “Hot Babes” roster. ::chuckles::

I knew that’d make sense…

No comments: