Monday, July 05, 2010

Hurly-Burly Once Again...

.:Hurly-Burly:.

The past week has been crazy, to say the least. After botching an MTG tournament last Sunday, I had to sit down for a while and rethink how crazy my life has been getting lately.

Thursday night was a first in a long time, as I dropped by Votre to perform since it’s GB’s birthday. I think it’s fairly obvious by now that I’ve slid back to the prior status quo when it comes to standup comedy, as I haven’t really done a standup set in almost two months, and have stuck to being a magician, more than anything else. With amazing things happening all over the place, what with the group that started it all, Comedy Cartel starting to kick things into high gear, as well as my good friend, Mike Unson, also making strides in his own inimitable way, things are looking mighty interesting, to say the least.

As a comedy fan, I’m actually excited and happy about these developments. More and more, Philippine standup comedy is gaining ground and making its mark, and these people are instrumental to that. Being a part of history in the making, even mostly just as a supporter of the fine art, has been a great honor to me, and that explains why I had no hesitation whatsoever when it came to performing in Votre for GB’s birthday. As one of my closest friends in standup comedy, I would certainly go out on a limb for the man, and I’m glad that he enjoyed my performance, which was certainly marked by the sheer dynamism that I exude whenever I hit the stage to do my magic and mentalism.

I can’t say enough good things about the state of Philippine standup comedy. Don’t let the rumors fool you: things are only moving on up for everyone involved, and things can only get better for everyone.

Despite that, I guess some things definitely require my attention far more than comedy, or even radio, as dropping by the DK last Wednesday proved to be a very entertaining time for me, as I rekindled old running jokes with Cleo Caliente when Logan asked her who gave her the nice pink jacket she was wearing. I think I turned a rather visible shade of pink as I sheepishly claimed credit for it, and our “Pinoy na Pinoy” game, featuring rich vs. poor conventions, definitely struck a nerve with the listeners. Were we being discriminatory? Quite the opposite, in fact. We were illustrating the sheer ludicrousness exhibited by the people who decided that because of their social stature, a euphemism needed to be used for something rich and poor people alike experienced.

With all of these things happening, I must admit that I needed to sit down and think things over. Up to now, things have been going crazy, and I know that there’s a lot of talking going on without my apparent knowledge (Or so they thought.) about a series of choices I made way back last year, at a time where I clearly felt unprepared to get into a serious relationship. That things went according to plan for me and didn’t go according to plan for someone else certainly put some friction in our erstwhile dealings, and someone who really should learn to know what’s up before making pronouncements decided to stick its nose where it didn’t belong. No, I’m not amused by this, and no, I don’t think it’s fair for me to be judged one way when I made it very clear from the start where I stood. If someone told you he was still in recovery, would you expect him to magically just heal up and suit up for your team in record time? Certainly not. So how is this any different again?

.:Prayers And Well-Wishes Are Encouraged:.

What really put a damper in my spirits today, though, has got to be the discovery that someone very dear to me is going through his third bout with cancer. It’s scary, having to stare that right in the eye for yet another time, but I believe that if it be His will, he will make it through this.

For what it’s worth, I would certainly appreciate well-wishers and prayers. I’m personally very invested in this right now, and I hope that all’s well that ends well after everything has been said and done.

No comments: