Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Whut

.:Why Me?:.

Someone on Facebook recently turned to me for advice. As in serious love advice. 

I tried my best, given the circumstances, to give her what she needed, as I was all too familiar with the scenario: she was beginning to feel what it is to be a meantime girl. It isn't a good feeling if you were hoping for anything more, that's for sure.

While I was talking to her, she even gave me a nickname I have never heard anyone use on me before... Mar.

Also, I honestly have no flipping idea how I supposedly know her and why she's my Facebook friend.

Really. I've been checking for half the day, just trying to figure this out. No such luck. I don't know why someone I don't even know would approach me for help, and why she would think I'd be even remotely qualified to give relationship advice, given my track record. 

I'm glad I got to help. Really, I am. But I also wish I had the foggiest idea who I was helping.

.:Times Like These...:.These are not easy times, to put it mildly. There are a lot of people suffering, a lot of people hurting, a lot of people grieving. And as much as we all try to do our part, we really could never help enough.

And yes, there's still a lot to be jaded and cynical enough. I don't need to chime in how unprepared the government was. Or how stupid the conspiracy theories about how the typhoon came about, when we also accept the "incompetence" of the government while maintaining their "hypercompetence" at producing this "man-made" calamity, which, I must repeat, is totally not. I'm tired of the random griefing from people who want to get a rise by invoking Schadenfreude against the Philippines, or by using religion as an excuse or as a way to denigrate people further. I'm sick and tired of all of them.

But while all that is true, that's not what we need. We need to be reminded that good people are still doing good things. We need to remember that we are not alone in this planet, and as much as we have helped others when they needed us, they are more than happy to do the same for us in our time of need. We need to remember that for every looter out there, there are hundreds of people coming together to help thousands survive.

The worst is out there. But so is the best. And if both things are equally true, and equally happening right before our very eyes, shouldn't it be obvious where we should focus most of our attentions upon right now? 

No comments: