Wednesday, March 02, 2005

.:Today's LSS:.

Can't disagree that this is my song right now...

Creep
by Radiohead

When you were here before,
Couldn't look you in your eye
You're just like an angel,
Your skin makes me cry
You float like a feather,
In a beautiful world

I wish I was special
You're so very special

But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here

I don't care if it hurts,
I wanna have control
I want a perfect body,
I want a perfect soul
I want you to notice,
When I'm not around

You're so very special,
I wish I was special

But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here

Oh...Oh...
She's running out again...
She's running
She's, run, run, run
Run....

Whatever makes you happy,
Whatever you want
You're so fucking special,
I wish I was special

But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here
I don't belong here...


.:Wacky Weekend:.

Actually, things were really interesting during the weekend for the most part. Nothing incredibly memorable happened, but it was enjoyable, nonetheless.
So I did the show with Gia on WAVE and felt incredibly frustrated when I noticed the lack of mention of my name on the website. It felt particularly grating on me, but I had better things to preoccupy myself with. That being said, I was en route to the Chua residence at around 1 in the afternoon when I got a message from Sacha...

We'll be having lunch out. I guess 3PM is a good time for you to get to our place.

Now, considering how I got that SMS when I was looking at the railroad tracks leading to the intersection with Bautista street, I decided to take my chances and just sit around the AdPhoto lobby instead of turn back and hang around Glorietta with a piddly 120 pesos in my pocket. I was doing a bit of playtesting with Doomsday for the Realmers Olympic tournament on Sunday, as well as catching some much-needed sleep.

Around a bit later, they arrived while I was in the middle of my attempt to catch a nap. Kathy, awfully thoughtful girl that she is, shouted me into a state of dazed and confused wakefulness. She's all heart.

In any case, we then proceeded to set up the DVD player to watch House Of Flying Daggers, which unfortunately was not cooperating with the player. We shifted gears to watch Kung Pow instead, and after a bit of setting up, that worked out just fine. Dominique arrived a bit later, and everyone present was laughing their heads off.

After the film, I then launched into a Korean movie marathon, which started with 100 Days With Mr. Arrogant. In the middle of it, Dom and Sacha left to watch Phantom of the Opera with Diane, which meant Kathy and I were the only two people left watching films. In the middle of watching the second film, Windstruck, we had to fetch Tita Harvey, and so we grabbed some popcorn along the way. Peppy arrived shortly thereafter and saw the last few sequences of Windstruck, before we took a break, and practiced a bit with the Diablo and Fire Staff.

Now, while I was twirling with the staff, Kathy turned to me...

Kathy: Marcelle, why don't you twirl a shorter staff?

I looked around me, and saw her pointing at me. I figured she meant something behind me, and I turned around to see Peppy...

Marcelle: So, Kathy, why are you pointing at Peppy's crotch?

I don't think that's the “short staff” she was asking me to twirl...

After a while, we went back to the dining area and watched My Sassy Girl, thereby completing a marathon of four movies, three of them being Korean. Sach and Dom arrived to see the second half of Sassy Girl, though.

.:An Improvement:.

Meanded Doomsday is one of the most brilliant decks I have ever seen concocted, and I've been high on the deck's workings from the moment I started playtesting it. My main problem with the deck is not really that it's bad or that it can't do this or that thing, but that I still don't have a Black Lotus, so that sort of puts a monkey wrench in my plans.

In any case, I did a 3-3 this time around, so I'm more or less doing better than I used to.

One of the key matchups I had required me to cast Doomsday twice just to get to ten spells, though... heh.

.:Company:.

Spent a bit of time with Grace after a long while, although it was mainly to watch My Wife Is A Gangster 2 (Pending Reviews: Audition, 100 Days With Mr. Arrogant, My Wife Is A Gangster 1 & 2.), which made me scratch my head in bewilderment, as the husband was nowhere to be found in the second film.

In any case, nothing much here. I was just glad to spend some time with Grace, as it really helped recharge me for this week...

.:Monday:.

Bloody Monday. Nonetheless, it wasn't so bad, as I finally managed to sell the Mana Crypts after the longest time. Good thing that worked out pretty well...

In any case, I think I might have a repository of Power 9 cards in the near future... let's see how it works out...

.:Tuesday:.

Didn't even realize I had a long exam to deal with yesterday for Medieval Philosophy, so I was completely unprepared when I got to it. Nonetheless, I'd like to think that my exam was a C at worst...

Not much else happened to me, really. I was too engrossed reading Mick Foley's book, “Have A Nice Day”, to even notice that I was already running late for a lot of stuff in school. Nonetheless, I hope that the application letter for being a teaching assistant isn't much of a problem. Dr. Ibana supposedly wants to talk to me about it, and that alarms me a bit.

I took up the invitation to go to the Chua residence and practice a bit, and I must say that it worked out pretty well for me, practice-wise. By the end of it, though, I was as tired and drained as I ever was, considering how huge a sucker I am for punishment... I guess I never really learn, neh?

.:Book Review: Have A Nice Day, by Mick Foley:.


Have A Nice Day!
Have a nice book!

In wrestling terms, I am a huge Mick Foley mark, as he and the Undertaker are among my favorite wrestlers of all time, right up there with The Rock, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and Chris Jericho. That being said, I was always amused with how Mick Foley managed to connect with audiences in a way quite like no other, as he was pretty much your average New Yorker who just so happened to be capable of taking a beating far more brutal than most people can live to tell about.

Mick Foley's first book has usually been hailed by critics as the best wrestling-related autobiography ever, and that evaluation is undisputable. For one, Mick Foley did not use a ghost writer to write this book, the way most other superstars have, i.e. Rock, Hogan, Angle, and so forth. Secondly, he wrote this book by hand, as he didn't have a typewriter ready for him and he was quite computer-illiterate. Thirdly, this is the easiest read of a bio I've ever run into in my life. No other book has captivated me so much that I simply wasn't able to put the book down after reading chapter after chapter of it. Heck, I almost didn't sleep one night to just get to the part where he was finally in ECW after leaving WCW.

Even if you weren't into wrestling, there's no question that this book is such a great read, with more humor than there are blown spots in an Al Snow match (Whoops. I'm getting into it, too!), and I doubt that what some people considered to be the second best wrestling bio ever, Ric Flair's book, was this funny.

Mick Foley takes you on a journey from his childhood to a walk through his storied wrestling career, culminating to his first win of the Heavyweight Title in the WWF (Wasn't the WWE at the time.) against the Rock on RAW. Through it all, his writing genius shines, as he comes up with the most amusing euphemisms for the chicken/bishop/monkey/salami, and self-deprecating humor that makes you smile at Mrs. Foley's boy. Furthermore, his no-holds barred insights on all the goings-on around him in the industry are quite interesting to read about, as he gives a lot of inside stuff on storylines that occurred.

Mick Foley's claim to fame in the WWE was his juggling of three (At times four, if you include his real identity.) personas: Mankind, Cactus Jack, and Dude Love. Each persona had a different feel to it, which made him an amazing performer in the way he delineates each of his characters. Moreover, given Mick's penchant for violence, the grisly details surrounding his match makes you think twice before saying “wrestling is fake”. As Jim Ross would put it, “That's solid steel, folks, and there ain't no give to it. Please don't sit there at home, telling yourself, 'well, he knows how to fall,'”

With a storied career as wonderful as Foley's, and with a writing style all his own, reading this book will be an easy and enjoyable thing to do. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and will not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, wrestling fan or not. His opinions were very well-put, as he managed to clearly make a break between how he personally likes/dislikes someone to how he professionally respects/disrespects someone, and these distinctions made a lot of things clear. For instance, Naitch (Ric Flair.) may indeed be the man once he enters the ring, but as a booker, he not only let Mick Foley go when he was in WCW, he let Steve Austin go as well. You can tell that as much as I like Flair, I'm not exactly on his side when he merely labeled Mick as a “glorified stuntman”.

He may not be “The People's Champ”, or “The Hulkster”, or “The Nature Boy”, or even “The best there was, the best there is, the best there ever will be”, but Mick Foley is not just a “Hardcore Legend”. With all he has given for the business, with his unselfish attitude of putting young up and comers like HHH or now Randy Orton over, Foley is not a Hardcore Legend.

Foley is God.

Marcelle's Evaluation: A+

No comments: