Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Post-Chinese New Year Post

.:Today's LSS:.

I love Rick Astley... hehehe.

Hold Me In Your Arms
by Rick Astley

We've been trying for a long time to say what we want to say

But feelings don't come easy to express in a simple way.
But we all have feelings
we all need loving

And who would be the fool to say that if you -

Hold me in your arms
I won#t feel better?
If you hold me in your arms
we can brave this storm together.

We both know there's a problem
a problem that we've got to face.
So put your trust in me
lover no-one's ever gonna take your place.
'Cos we all have a problem
we all have fears

But there's always got to be a way.
Yes
we all have feelings
we all need loving

And you would be a fool to say that if you -

Hold me in your arms
I won't feel better?
If you hold me in yor arms
we can brave this storm together.

You only have to hold me
touch me to make me feel so good

You only have to hold me
feel me
to make me feel the way
you know I should.

Hold me in your arms
hold me in your arms

Hold me in your arms
hold me in your arms

When you gonna hold me in your arms
hold me in your arms

Hold me in your arms
hold me in your arms


.:Eurostar!!!:.

Anyone wants to go this Saturday or the next? I think the JGL should set up a trip there before the darned thing closes already...

Please? Going there alone is so not cool...

.:Wa Ying!!!:.

Didn't realize it was so near where we had Magic tournaments. From now on, I eat my lunch there all the time... duck rice. Whooo!!!

.:Sticky Details: On Suman and Tikoy:.

I didn't really think much about Chinese New Year this year, ironically. Regardless, the occasion has passed us by already, and now, it's the year of the Dog.

One of the things that becomes rather commonplace during Chinese New Year is a very interesting delicacy we all know as Tikoy. I like it, actually. The chewy consistency has proven to be such a draw for me, as far as I'm concerned. I like it when it's warm, and the mild sweetness is really great.

And with each passing year, they put more and more interesting spins to it. I especially liked ube flavor, and pandan flavor isn't so bad, either.

Tikoy symbolizes the hope that a family would stick together and all be blessed for the New Year. It's a very nice symbol for a very tasty delicacy that I definitely like a lot.

Then all of a sudden, I started thinking about that other rice delicacy that is very much Filipino, in contrast to Tikoy.

You guessed it. Suman.

I like Suman, but I think my main gripe with it is that I have yet to see special-flavored Suman. Having different kinds of them is one thing, but they still taste very similar to each other. Compare that to Tikoy, whose rather wide range of flavors can cover a lot of ground in the taste department in no time at all.

Some kinds of Suman even have the same consistency as Tikoy, which furthers my analogy of the two.

It kind of exists as a very tangent but perfectly plausible link between the Filipino and Chinese cultures, although of course, Suman doesn't exactly represent the kind of symbolism Tikoy does, but in my humble opinion, it damned well should. It's a sticky rice delicacy that is a lot more fun to share with friends or family than it is to eat by your lonesome. Sometimes, it's not brown sugar you need to add more taste to your Suman. It's actually company.

And in the end, isn't that one of the wonderful side benefits of food? When you share your time of eating with people you like to spend time with, doesn't it make mealtime less and less about stuffing your faces and your stomachs and more and more about the leisure that allows us to relish delicacies like Tikoy and Suman and think upon their mundane but poignant contribution to people?

After all, we eat to live. We don't live to eat. Thinking upon the parralelisms and the stark contasts between Suman and Tikoy and all that they stand for, I can't help but feel that it's nice to just take a step back and take a closer look at things we usually overlook and take for granted.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!!!

No comments: