Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Today Is International Thank You Day

.:It's A Good Time To Be Grateful...:.

The fact that I can still find the energy to write at this moment is enough cause to be grateful, to be honest. There's been so much going on as we prepare for October 23, but here I am, still soldiering on, and even finding the time to drop in on Grace Lee and Mojo Jojo on Magic 89.9, and I actually managed to promote my show.

Even dropped in on RT and saw some other jocks there who are pumped up to go and catch the show as well. In fact, I do believe that means I'm guesting on radio again this Friday, this time around 7AM on 99.5. Hehe.

These past few weeks, people have really come to the forefront and given me much cause for gratitude. From friends who are there for you when you need them, to having an awesome boss, to being able to give back for so many blessings through Bound And Gagged, there's so much to be grateful for, indeed.

But you know what? There’s a whole different category I want to be grateful for, seeing as today is international “Thank You” day. Hear me out.

Believe it or not, I'm thankful for the people who hurt me this year.

I'm thankful because I need to learn things through you the hard way. Heaven knows I’d keep doing the same things if I didn’t

Thanks to you, I know better than to believe a person when they tell me they care about me, or worse, that they love me. These are not words people should bandy about with no regard or care, but so many people throw them around as if these words meant nothing. I guess it’s just my luck that I keep running into your type.

Thanks to you, I know who my true friends are. I now know better than to think that I could count on you because when it really matters, you’re never there. It’s sad, but it’s a fact that I need to accept: I expected too much from you, and that was my own damned fault. At least in the future, I’d be warier of whom to go out on a limb for. I have more than enough fair-weathered friends at this point.

Thanks to you, I know better than to trust someone who would only lead me to ruin. You always had an excuse for everything, but in the end, you could never get anything done. That all of you now happen to be comporting yourselves in a manner that could only be described as “boorish” only cements my conviction that I did the right thing in not letting you ruin me any more than you already did.

Thanks to you, I now look before I leap. Though I may have thought the world of you, though I held you in the highest of esteem, I realize that it is nothing short of foolish for me to expect any of that to mean even half as much to you as it does to me. I hold myself to a higher standard. I cannot do the same to you.

Thanks to all of you, because I’ve become a little wiser, a little less naive, and a whole lot more jaded. You are the stellar examples of my dwindling faith in humankind, and a stern reminder to me that life can be good if I stop allowing people like you from polluting my life.

Thank you for letting me learn these lessons the hard way. Now vamoose. I refuse to allow myself to be beset by such vexations to the soul any longer.

I always thank the people who mean a lot to me. I believe that you shouldn’t have to wait for them to die before you could. As such, international “Thank You” day may mean a lot to me, but it’s not something I neglect to do whenever the opportunity presents itself. Thanking these people before I excise them from my life, on the other hand, is something I may never get the chance to do right.

Call it passive-aggressive, if you wish, but I genuinely am grateful for these people. I wish no more ill will upon them beyond what already is happening to them. We only get what we give, after all.

No comments: