Thursday, November 24, 2005

Hey...

.:Today's LSS:.

I only have one topic for today, but boy, it's worth talking about.

100 Years
by Five For Fighting

I'm 15 for a moment
Caught in between 10 and 20
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are

I'm 22 for a moment
She feels better than ever
And we're on fire
Making our way back from Mars

15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time to lose
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live

I'm 33 for a moment
Still the man, but you see I'm a they
A kid on the way
A family on my mind

I'm 45 for a moment
The sea is high
And I'm heading into a crisis
Chasing the years of my life

15 there's still time for you
Time to buy, Time to lose yourself
Within a morning star

15 I'm all right with you
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live

Half time goes by
Suddenly you're wise
Another blink of an eye
67 is gone
The sun is getting high
We're moving on...

I'm 99 for a moment
Dying for just another moment
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are

15 there's still time for you
22 I feel her too
33 you're on your way
Every day's a new day...

15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time to choose
Hey 15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live


.:Neil Gaiman?:.

Are the jokes about his family limited to the Philippines, or do people still make stupid puns about it even internationally?

I'm just curious.

.:Yesterday's Topic:.

"If your teacher were hot enough, would you go for him or her?"

Sounds familiar?

.:Today's Topic:.

Actually, every Thursday's topic, to commemorate our co-jock's immortalized phrase, "It's so juicy, eh."

Something Juicy Thursdays.

Now's your chance to talk about your deepest, darkest secrets, every Thursday. It was a pretty amazing day, what with so many people who eagerly gave out their secrets today. I guess 2-6 AM is the best time to do stuff like that...

.:Mortality:.

As I said, just one particular topic I'd really focus on today.

But boy, what a mouthful.

I met Pomelo the other day, and then we went to Let's Face It before she went home, so I can have my facial appointment. For some weird reason, while I was there, the weirdest idea struck me, and it was about death.

I know. How morbid.

But you see, there's always that lingering fear about what happens to you after you're gone. I'm not atheist, so I'm not comfortable about an infinite nothingness after your life. As such, I'm more comfortable with the concept of an afterlife.

As a pluralist, I tend to accept a lot of different notions about beliefs in the afterlife, but practically all of them have a caveat. None of them guarantee happiness after all has been said and done, from the concept of Hell in the Christian faith to the concept of reincarnation in the Hindu religion. Furthermore, simply because nobody just walks up to you from the dead and tells you exactly what's up with it, you have virtually no idea what's in store for you afterwards.

It's scary, that much is true. But it's also the greatest possibility for all of us. A possibility that is our only cure to our sickness unto death, despair. A possibility that we shouldn't ever take in our own hands, lest we deny ourselves that possibility. It's one of the few things certain in this world, along with taxes. I won't pretend that I'm particularly eager to pass on anytime soon. There's just so much left for me to do. So much I have to accomplish first. And that element of time is, for the most part, working against the human person.

One of the most compelling causes that humanism has managed to champion for the longest time was the ability of the human person to transcend himself. One of the means of doing this is with the presence of a human soul that moves beyond the physical aspect of the human person. But what if that was all wrong? What if the human being simply doesn't transcend the physical aspect once the physical aspect is cut off? Where does that leave the more spiritual-inclined of the humanists, such as myself?

Thoughts on the afterlife can be quite numbing. One moment, you can be as happy as can be, the next, your heart can just stop while you're brushing your teeth. Life is too fleeting for anyone to truly determine if it's worth as much as we conventionally subscribe to, or if it's really just a "vanity of vanities", as after all has been said and done, life comes down to a zero sum.

I'll write more about this after I've reflected on it some more.

No comments: