Friday, May 19, 2006

More DVC Madness...

.:Today's LSS:.

Since we're going to talk about this today, isn't this the perfect song?

Losing My Religion
by REM

Oh, life is bigger
It's bigger than you
And you are not me
The lengths that I will go to
The distance in your eyes
Oh no, I've said too much
I set it up

(chorus)
That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight, I'm
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no, I've said too much
I haven't said enough
I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

Every whisper
Of every waking hour I'm
Choosing my confessions
Trying to keep an eye on you
Like a hurt lost and blinded fool, fool
Oh no, I've said too much
I set it up
Consider this
Consider this
The hint of the century
Consider this
The slip that brought me
To my knees failed
What if all these fantasies
Come flailing around
Now I've said too much
I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

But that was just a dream
That was just a dream

(repeat chorus)

But that was just a dream
Try, cry, why try?
That was just a dream
Just a dream, just a dream
Dream


.:When You Compare Dan Brown's Writing To The Classics...:.

I'm sorry, but Encyclopedia Brown can think circles around this other Brown. I like Dan Brown's writing, but he's no Donald Sobol, considering how I figured out the culprits in both DVC and A&D, whereas I am, more often than not, completely stumped at the end of each Encyclopedia Brown mystery. And you know what? That's the way to do it.

And how about the other mystery solving group? Imagine if the Scooby Gang ended up crossing paths with Dan Brown... I heard of a funny ending to that Mystery:

Fred: But you see sherrif, this book really isn't a good thriller, or a mystery, or, well, anything.

Sherrif: Thanks kids. I'll make sure to tell the local book critic. Take him away boys.

Dan Brown: I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Shaggy: Zoinks! Scoob. Maybe *you're* descended from Christ!

*cue laugh track as Mystery Machine drives into the Sunset*


.:But Seriously...:.

So apparently, Manila has banned the Da Vinci Code from being shown. I'm actually a bit surprised, although it's not like it wasn't expected that moves to ban the movie would be made at the last moment.

Nonetheless, the uproar is unfounded and very narrow-minded. Citing that movies "should not insult other religions" is ridiculous, to say the least. Tell that to "True Lies", and even a whole bunch of other Filipino films that have used Muslims as villains in their storylines. I'm sure there are other very glaring examples, and even on television, we have South Park, and yet, nobody's trying to have South Park banned in this country.

Oh, that's right. Because when it comes to this country and quite a few others, nobody cares what you do as long as it's not a big hit.

.:Case Of Contrast: The Omen:.

Sometime next month, WAVE will be premiering "The Omen". For those who have no idea what that movie is, well, the movie is about the Antichrist.

So where's the uproar to have this movie banned?

Or do we only try to make a big deal of something when it's as successful as Harry Potter or the Da Vinci Code?

Please don't try to tell me that "The Omen" is bibilically sound, either. Why the Hades is the Antichrist American? Isn't it more likely that he'd be Jewish? Or if not Jewish, maybe even David Hasselhoff?

Think about it. On one hand, we have a film that is viewed as an insult to the Catholic church, and promptly gets banned by the city of Manila.

On the other hand, we have a film that implies that the Antichrist actually wins the battle, and nobody cares, nor did anyone care the first time they made the movie.

If anyone here can possibly tell me with a straight face that the former deserves banning, but not the latter, then I think I would have found the poster child for idiocy.

When a movie, or heck, a book, can cause more uproar in the supposedly poor-oriented church than the alarming inflation rate and the rise of poverty, you just know that somebody has their priorities really screwed up.

And when said movie is not even in the same ballpark when it comes to subject matter as a movie about the Antichrist, you know that even on a film-exclusive scale, their priorities are still shot.

What part of a film showing on 6/6/06 did they miss?

Bottomline? The people who banned this movie are too lazy to address the issues and instead sweept them under the rug. Oh it's true. It's damned true.

No comments: