Wednesday, February 16, 2005

.:Today's LSS:.

A song I throw into the air...

Heaven Knows
by Rick Price


She's always on my mind
From the time I wake up,
Till I close my eyes.
She's everywhere I go
She's all I know.
And though she's so far away,
It just keeps getting stronger everyday
And even now she's gone
I'm still holding on
So tell me, where do I start
'Coz it's breakin' my heart
Don't wanna let her go

Chorus:
Maybe my love will come back someday
Only heaven knows
And maybe our hearts will find a way
But only heaven knows
And all I can do is hope & pray
'Coz heaven knows.

My friends keep telling me
That if you really love her,
You've gotta set her free
And if she returns in time
I'll know she's mine

But tell me, where do I start
'Coz it's breakin' my heart
Don't wanna let her go

(Repeat Chorus except last line)

Bridge:
'Coz heaven knows
Why I live in despair
'Coz wide awake or dreamin',
I know she's never there
And all the time I act so brave,
I'm shakin' inside
Why does it hurt me so?

(Repeat Chorus)

Heaven knows... heaven knows.


.:Film Review: Zatoichi:.

Is it just me, or is this blog turning into 75% film reviews? Heh. Looks like Avenida has its influences…

In any case, SPOILERS AHEAD!!!


Zatoichi
You can’t see me, you can’t see me.

I’m a huge fan of Beat Takeshi. Not big enough a fan to get all of his films, but he did quite excellently in “Battle Royale”, and I heard a lot of good things about this remake of a 60’s film series about a blind swordsman named Ichi. While searching for films in Avenida, I came across the older “Zatoichi” films, and was extremely pleased when I saw Beat Takeshi’s telltale face on one of the covers with “Zatoichi” on it.

Anyways, this film is the story of Ichi, a blind masseur who wanders around and stumbles across a quiet town somewhere in Japan where a kindly woman accommodates him. Having a keen liking for gambling, he enjoys playing dice, using his keen sense of hearing to tell whether the dice will turn out to be odd or even.

Meanwhile, a pair of geisha are attempting to gain revenge on the murderers of their parents. masterminded by the Kuchima boss. It turns out that the two are siblings, one of them male, and their quest for revenge lets them cross paths with Ichi and ???.

In the middle of the violent takeover of the Ginzo and Ogi gang through the aid of a skilled ronin, Ichi and company run their heads against the gangs, further cementing the fact that the blind masseur is more skilled than he lets on.

The action comes to a head when the siblings finally discover that Ginzo was Inosuke, the leader of the group that murdered their family. Ichi makes it in time to save them, and take down the gang single-handedly. He then confronts the ronin in what seemed like a fatal game of chess as both men discerned each other’s technique before engaging in a swordfight that lasted a mere five seconds.

At the end of the film, the identity of the Kuchima boss is revealed, in what is an unexpected but welcome twist. Apparently, there is more to a lot people than meets the eye, including Ichi… wow. I didn’t spoil it! ;)

It’s not hard to see that I liked this movie a lot. The storytelling was excellent, as they paced the story’s development very well. The scoring that made use of tools was also very entertaining, as when the farmers were striking the ground with their hoes, it seemed as though they were playing instruments. It really was a little thing in the film that enhanced my enjoyment of the whole thing all the more.

Furthermore, the fight scenes may have been anti-climactic, but they were still very crisp and swift. For a blind man to be fighting the way Ichi did was simply amazing, as Beat Takeshi needed to have his eyes closed during those fight sequences. The sheer deftness of Ichi’s swordsmanship was a sight to behold, and there was still ample tension to work with despite his seemingly invulnerable style.

The comedy in the film was all right as well, although a bit overplayed. I personally think that the comedy had its moments, and held the film together in some transitions. It could’ve been better, though.

Lastly, the ending was brilliant. It reminded me of those cheesy 1980’s dance sequences almost all Filipino films seemed to have during those times, that they just really had to squeeze in somewhere within the film. It felt like a throwback to that, but it was working in good juxtaposition with the metamorphosis of the lead characters in the film, particularly Ichi, as he was walking back to the town, and tripped on a stone. His last line just really summed it all up for me, and even had very excellent philosophical undertones about blindness and sight, but nothing we haven’t heard before.

This movie was splendid. I sure am glad I found it, and it’s pretty obvious by now what I’m going to be giving this film…

Marcelle’s “Fun” Evaluation: A+
Marcelle’s “Critical Evaluation: A+

.:Sigh…:.

Still destitute. The gig I was supposed to have to finally recoup the money that got stolen has been called off for me. I guess someone up there really hates me… sigh.

If I find out who stole from me, that person will regret it. Completely.

.:Ishneaky:.

I had my friend, TJ, deliver a rose to Elgine in my class. I don’t think she has any idea it came from me, and I could tell she was a bit pleasantly surprised to get the rose… Carolyn, her thesis partner, was on to me, though. Regardless, as long as she keeps quiet, I don’t think Gyn would have a clue…

.:Hilarity:.

So I met up with Kathy and Krisette last night in Tia Maria’s Cantina, as Kath introduced me to two of her friends. It was a fairly enjoyable night as we were just talking with one another about stuff, singing “Let The Love Begin” and other songs like that, and drinking beer. I had two glasses last night. Nothing happened to me.

In any case, I initially sat between Kath and Krisette, and while they were both smoking, I had this perfect photo-caption idea in my head, with my arm around both of them while they were both taking a puff…

Two satisfied women.

I have a picture to upload for that, by the way. Heh.

In any case, so there we were, and Hrbz was supposed to meet us in Tia Maria’s. Turns out that he was a bit too slow to get there, so I texted him…

Hi there, sweetie! :) What’re you wearing right now? :) Meet you at Tia Maria’s Cantina in Katipunan! :X :X :X

Krisette was laughing her head off, and was wondering how Hrbz would’ve reacted to that. I then added to the whole situation further after he replied and asked me why I was wondering about him…

Wala lang. :) Miss lang kita. :)

I think he’d have to grab a smoke after that one…

No comments: