Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Loafing Around...

.:Funny Thing, That Fork Bending...:.

To give an air of legitimacy to my demonstrations of Psychokinesis, I tend to attribute my fork bending to something taught to me by Fr. Bulatao.

Amusingly enough, as he would gladly tell you, I taught him that, not the other way around. Lol.

.:Huhuhuhu...:.

If you haven't seen Sad Movie, then this post will contain a few SPOILERS. Stay away, if you don't wanna be spoiled.



So before I went to Psychology class where I was treated to a very interesting moment of reading a person firsthand with little more than pure intuition guiding me (Fr. Bu was suitably impressed.), I met up with My Beloved again, and this was a much better rendezvous than the last time.

I guess it's been a while since we had a good time together, really... since things got messy, it's been neither here nor there, but this time, we just really relived old times, and watched a movie.

I didn't think "Sad Movie", the Korean movie that stars My Sassy Girl's Cha Tae-Hyun, would turn out to be that sad. The upbeat tone of the film seemed like it was an exercise in irony, but lo and behold, the film didn't disappoint.

By the end of the film, I was crying buckets of tears. I am such a sucker for these heartwrenching films, and I must say, this was one of the best ones I've encountered so far. My Beloved was practically laughing at me for being such an emotional sap, but I didn't care and just kept on bawling my eyes out. Especially that part where Cha Tae-Hyun had to break up with himself because his girlfriend couldn't do it herself...

The movie was top-notch, and the four interweaving storylines just went so well with each other, although the videotape of the fireman at the end fell flat for me. If the movie ended at the whistle, it would've been perfect, though.

I liked the way they tied in the fireman and the girl, the girl's sister and her artist crush, the kid and his mom, and of course, the guy who tries wooing his girlfriend by getting a job where he plays the messenger for people who want to break up with each other.

Each story seems to have its own trope it wants to play up, really... while each trope seems capable of holding a movie on its own, I like that the four were combined into one film not only for the "something for everyone" feel, but also to minimize the risk of overplaying any of the four tropes. It was nice, and the buildup seemed so happy and despite the film's title, one was inclined to believe it was going to be happy times.

But then, as things seemed on their way to a happy denouement, a quadruple whammy strikes, and you're hit with one emotional blow after another. After another. After another. It was incredibly hard to watch in a good way towards, the end, truth be told. With a stellar cast like this, I guess the film was meant to deliver.

If you want to watch a movie guaranteed to tug at your heartstrings, "Sad Movie" is a good bet. I definitely loved watching it with My Beloved, and I hope when you get to watch it, you'd love it, too. =)

And to My Beloved, thanks for spending time with me today. You know it made my week just a little happier...

No comments: