Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Lost Gems Of Philippine History: Ang Talaarawan Ni Diosdado Macapagal, Part I

.:Lost Gems Of Philippine History: Ang Tala-Arawan Ni Diosdado Macapagal, Part 1:.

After much digging, I actually found the authentic copies of the lost diaries of former president Diosdado Macapagal. I know this sounds too good to be true, but it’s very much true. I wanted to scan them for you to see the actual words in his writing, but I was afraid of damaging the pages from the diaries.

The former president wrote extensively in his diary, but I wanted to pore over the segments where he wrote details about his daughter, Gloria. He appears to like writing in a mix of English and Filipino, which is weird, since I was expecting him to write predominantly in Capampangan, but who am I to judge him, right?

Anyways, a few select excerpts from his diaries...

05 April, 1947,

I still recall Purita sometimes, but I’m grateful Evangelina is still by my side. Today, I welcome to this world a bundle of joy, Gloria. I named her for the glory that I feel befits our country, and the poise, grace, stature, and integrity I know I and Eva will instill in her. I hope she turns out tall, just like me.

08 May, 1947,

Today is Gloria’s baptism. It was so difficult to take her to the church. She was crying so hard. Poor child. She must be afraid of such big places.

22 January, 1948,

What a milestone! Gloria said her first word! She said “no!” Come to think of it, I don’t know if she said “no”, or “noh”. Hard to tell.

30 March, 1948,

This is odd, but it appears Gloria learned to run before she could walk. I guess that makes her very special. Such a special child.

12 April, 1952,

Last week was Gloria’s fifth birthday. In a bizarre turn of events, her nanny cheerfully hung herself in the middle of Gloria’s party. It was such a disaster. I’m glad we managed to get a new nanny on such short notice, though. Although she’s an expat, Mrs. Baylock seems to get along just marvellously with Gloria. I just wish they didn’t keep that fierce-looking dog they found, though. He’s downright menacing.

05 April, 1955,

Having turned 8, it’s unbelievable that Gloria is already 4’11! Such a tall child for her age.

04 September, 1956,

Nahuli ko si Gloriang nangungupit sa pantalon ko. Ulit. I’m glad she apologized, though. She told me she was sorry for her lapse in judgment. How can I stay angry with a sweet girl like that?

30 June, 1961,

It’s odd making the transition now, having won the presidency. Gloria has been exceptionally happy about moving into Malacanang. She says she wishes she could stay here forever.

19 July, 1962,

After her classmate mysteriously got expelled from school, Gloria, who was originally their vice president, ended up becoming class president today. I’m so proud of her. I’m sure she’s on her way to greater things.

Unfortunately, she's *still* at 4'11.

3 comments:

man about town said...

Kabiasnan mung sumulat!

Nicely said...

We, here at the office, were laughing so hard while I was reading this aloud. I hope my boss didn't hear me... *guilty*

Kel Fabie said...

Thank you! I'm glad you guys liked it. I'm doing more research for the second diary. It's amazing what gems I've turned up from there. :)