Tuesday, May 18, 2010

She Can't.... But She Can!

.:She Can hEAR!:.


She is made of win!

I cannot say enough about my admiration and respect for my DBS batchmate Kcat Yarza, but it was definitely an honor for me to host her birthday party and fundraiser last Friday night.

It was a great night, to say the least, especially since a lot of her friends and family were there to celebrate her birthday. Goes to show that she is surrounded by people who love her, and know that no matter what she goes through, Kcat is made of far sterner stuff than whatever the universe can throw at her.

Kcat is simply an inspiration to many. Her will to fight on despite setbacks, her inability to take “no” for an answer, is something that few people possess. When problems beset us, it tends to be easy to throw our hands up and surrender, but Kcat shows that winning is a state of mind as much as it is a state of affairs. When things seem down and when things seem undeniably challenging for us, thinking about people like Kcat reminds us that the slings and arrows of fate are only as strong as we allow them to be. They cannot overpower us if we refuse to allow them to do so.

The night was punctuated by a bit of comedy, and a whole lot of music, and even more food. I’ll say one thing about Kcat: she knows how to throw a party, and it was amazing meeting an old classmate and friend of mine who’s been based abroad for a while already: Sarah Jervoso.


She was the only girl taller than me in Grade 3!

Having said that, with all the challenges we face, and with all the things that we have to deal with, leave it to Kcat to lead the way and to never give up in the face of adversity. As people who believe in her and support her, the least we can do is heed her example.

Kcat, thanks for having me at your celebration. It was an honor and a blast, and I’d be more than happy to have the opportunity to help in any way I can in the future, if you so wish me to. You are truly an amazing person, and your battlecry of “I can” rings true in every ounce of my being. Godpseed to you.

With that, I leave you with the AVP from her celebration...


No comments: