Friday, November 26, 2004

.:Today’s LSS:.

Tell me what you think about this song… obviously a song I can’t play on our station…

The Last Time
by Keane

This is the last time
That I will say these words
I remember the first time
The first of many lies
Sweep it into the corner
Or hide it under the bed
Say these things they go away
But they never do
Something I wasn't sure of
But I was in the middle of
Something I forget now
But I've seen too little of

Chorus:
The last time
You fall on me for anything you like
Your one last line
You fall on me for anything you like
And years make everything alright
You fall on me for anything you like
And I know I don't mind

This is the last time
That I will show my face
One last tender lie
And then I'm out of this place
So tread it into the carpet
Or hide it under the stairs
Say that some things never die
Well I tried and I tried

Something I wasn't sure of
But I was in the middle of
Something I forget now
But I've seen too little of

(Chorus x 2)


.:More Distress:.

I'm so toxic these past few days. Prolly because I feel rather odd now that I seem to be rather incommunicado with someone who means a lot to me. Perhaps something went wrong yet again? I guess it can't be avoided, then...

Nonetheless, I'm really stressed out over all the work I have to do at this point. School is quite an ordeal for me, as I feel I'd want to have just a week of a vacation. A genuine week's vacation of no classes or even radio work. Man, I sure as Hades could use that...

It's gotten to a point where I really need to take some time off lest I get burnt out. And it's not that I hate work. It's just that outside forces have been taking their toll on me...

.:Oohh...:.

What are you doing here?

– SJ, asking me why I was in Neutral Grounds in Galleria.

Naturally, I just had to shoot back...

Marcelle: I work in Ortigas. Shouldn't I be asking you what you're doing here?

Freddy Tan: Actually, I'm not the least bit surprised he's here. But you, SJ... why aren't you at your store? That's bad!

And then, I noticed one of the NG employees had a cast on...

Marcelle: O, Jun! Nangyari diyan? Nasobrahan ba?

Jun: If I had a peso for every time someone asked me that, I'd be a rich man...

.:Boarding:.

They're planning to give me a stable schedule. Good luck finding a schedule like that, given my crazy schooldays... the only possible time is the one with Anne, which I don't intend to do, if only for the fact that it's too fast-paced for my tastes.

I did switch schedules today, though, because of the schedule switcheroo that happened in ADMU. That meant I had a Monday class on Thursday. Oh, well. I skipped Fr. Ferriols’ class, though. I needed the rest.

Pam's finally back. Goodie... I enjoyed my boardwork yesterday, and it was interesting chatting with DC777 yesterday, whose package I just sent... I think he's getting the hang of Magic strategy.

On the other hand, some guys in Cebu want to get started with RAW Deal... heh. Does NG have a branch in Cebu or something? This ought to be good.

.:Mood Swings:.

To any people who gave enough of a damn to actually mind/take offense/be mildly affected by my rash of see-sawing posts as of late, I'm sorry.

I guess I hit a crossroads at this point, and I still don't quite know how to get through it. The realization that what I always assumed to be there is now officially there has only started sinking in, and the pain is still there. I wish it could be different and this didn't have to be the case, but such is not my fortune...

I'm sorry if I've been quite angsty as of late. It can't be avoided on my part. I'd want to do otherwise, but my feelings have been merciless to me in that regard. Makes me realize why I wanted to be emotionless in the first place. It saves me a lot of trouble, albeit it robs me of the highs of life as well.

.:Uber-Short Boardwork:.

Waveback Wednesday felt so short today...

It's a bit of a downer, because the 80 minutes of the 80's segment ate up over an hour and a half of my boardwork, so by the time I was getting into the groove of playing songs here and there, I realized that my boardwork was almost over when Jda pointed out that I only had two songs left for the hour. I really was under the impression I had a full hour left after that, but I was clearly wrong.

.:Comfort Food:.

Was just wondering... when you feel down and all, what's comfort food to you? Or do you even bother to eat?

I realized that ice cream and cheese and Italian food seem to be my regular crutches when it comes to comfort food. How about you?

.:Major Annoyance:.

My sister loves to use the phone. That's understandable. But for her to lie to me that she just “started” using the phone when I ask her for it, then for her to not be decent enough to pass it to me when she was done is just plain annoying.

I mean come on, a little decency here, please. I walked in the room ten minutes before I asked for the phone, and you tell me you just “started” using the phone? Codswallop. Then you pass the phone to Francis after using the phone. Very considerate of you. You seem to have neglected to consider I asked for the effing phone first.

And I really find it disappointing how you look at the maids with such a condescending viewpoint. You act like you pay the maids, and you act like they owe you their lives. Well, they don't. Moreover, you remind me of those disturbing Aryan Neo-Nazis I ran into yesterday online. They actually had a forum where they really get there and spread their poison about how the whites are a superior race and anyone else is simply worthless.

I can't quite understand the both of you at this point. There's this seemingly predetermined superiority in your minds with regard to people, as though these people, by virtue of who they are de facto, can be inferior or superior at that level. It's not even about how people have made themselves to be, or who they became, but simply the mistaken notion that their roots determine their ascendancy in society and in life.

It's amazing how warped minds can work. For them to simply twist the truth to their liking and simply uphold everything I cannot hold myself to believe in. Even a pluralist would have his limitations, and these limitations become very clear when it already tramples on some basic precepts of equitability.

I went on quite a tangent by bringing in the whole Aryan argument into the equation, but I figure the point is still clear: this kind of discrimination just doesn't make sense.

And yeah, I'm also miffed over not getting to use the phone, in addition to all that. ;)

.:Film Review: The Incredibles:.

The Incredibles
Heroically splendid!

Pixar strikes back with a vengeance, hot on the heels of “A Shark Tale” to come up with a masterpiece called “The Incredibles”.

In fairness to the makers of Shrek, their DVD of Shrek 2 is still making more of a killing than the Incredibles currently is in the box office. In spite of that, A Shark Tale is far from a great film when put side by side its Pixar competitor, especially if you're not a fan of product placement, of which the Incredibles have none of.

Anton Sevilla decided to do a Philosophical analysis of the film. I decided to be more pre-reflexive about it.

In any case, this is the story of a family of Superheroes, Mr. Incredible, Elasta-girl, and their children, Violet, Dash, and Jack-jack. The thing is, after a high-scale trial that forced all the superheroes into hiding, it's fairly obvious that this is one family that is aching to get into action.

Mr. Incredible, for one, is now an insurance policy man, and it's quite interesting how he tries to incorporate his super-powered self within his daily grind. It's really a pleasure to see. The subtle touches of humanity do add to the greatness of the whole premise, and this kind of ingenuity transcends age boundaries. It doesn't take long before he gets recruited by a mysterious group of Supers who are trying to regain control of a very dangerous robot, akin to Ultron insofar as this robot learns from its past encounters.

All the while, Mr. Incredible's family is simply oblivious to the fact that he's secretly doing his hero routine again. Little does he know that he is being led to a trap, as the one who developed the robot was none other than Syndrome, a disgruntled young child who once idolized Mr. Incredible then grew up to vow revenge on him. The plan was elegant: his ingenuity would make him devices that would allow him to be more powerful than Supers, and then he would launch an attack with the most advanced of his robots, and then stage the rescue at the same time. He would end up being a bigger hero than any of the other heroes in the past.

However, Syndrome didn't count on the possibility of running into opposition from Mr. Incredible's family, and this is where the fun begins.

I won't spoil much beyond that at this point. I just find it very interesting how the characters really shine in this film, though, especially since given how this is supposed to be just a kid's film, the nuances within it are extremely complex but well-thought of and well worth the effort.

I'm impressed, to say the least. This film is a genuinely sobering twist on the superhero genre, and I'm glad to have taken the time out to see it. I have virtually no complaints. If I do have any, I seem to have forgotten them all as I enjoyed the film too much. ;)

Favorite line:

Frozo: Honey? Where's my super suit?

Wife: Don't think you're going to go out there and do your hero thing again! I took it!

Frozo: Honey! I need my super suit! It's for the greater good!

Wife: Don't greater good me! I'm your wife! I'm your greatest good!

Sheer genius.

Marcelle's “Fun” Evaluation: A+
Marcelle's “Critical” Evaluation: A+

No comments: