Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Project 52 (31/52): Brighter Than Sunshine - Aqualung

.:Project 52 (31/52): Brighter Than Sunshine - Aqualung:.


Who came up with a name like "Aqualung" anyways?!?

While on my way to work, I heard this song playing on The Morning Rush, and it definitely hit the spot for me. Anyone who watched "A Lot Like Love" would be very familiar with this song,and it's just perfect music to will yourself to be optimistic in the face of Typhoon Kabayan forcing everyone to batten down their hatches.

So I guess Aqualung is like Five For Fighting (Except less whiny.) and Owl City (Except less gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.) in that what I initially thought was a band turned out to be a solo act instead. What I like about Aqualung is how he has always been on the cusp of superstardom but doesn't quite break out into it mostly by choice. I can't really say that for sure, but it feels like the only reason Aqualung isn't as popular as I'd expect him to be is because he doesn't see the need to be so.

"Brighter Than Sunshine" is a pretty awesome song, particularly when you feel how much love just oozes out of the lyrics. A kind of love that is so strong and so overwhelming, that even while the rain washes everything else away, you just feel a kind of love that burns within you. Brighter than sunshine.

Pretty powerful lyrics, and I'm sold with the ingenuity behind the song's melody. It's so catchy, it sounds even downright sad, but the lyrics tell a different story. I think what makes it work is that the vocals really haunt you and make you feel that you're listening to something someone is saying with every fiber of his being.

Here's hoping we'd hear more music from Aqualung in the near future, though, because everything we've had so far from him has been awesome.

No comments: