Saturday, April 17, 2010

30 Days Of Music (11/30), And Friday's Awesomeness

.:Day 1 Of I-Blog:.

... it was a ton of fun! I'm sure there's more where that came from, though.

.:Tagayan Sa Taumbayan...:.

... will have a repeat show next Friday! Still in Taumbayan, T. Gener corner K-1st in the Kamuning area, in front of Goodfellas. Entrance is free, and you get to catch my comedy and magic, Stanley Chi's standup, and of course, the headliner, Ony Carcamo's ventriloquism!

.:Day 11/30 Of 30 Days Of Music: A Song From Your Favorite Band:.

Well, since my favourite bands are APO, Itchyworms, Matchbox Twenty, Cake, Sugarfree, and Radioactive Sago Project, let’s give you one song from each band, then.



Lourd’s telltale voice and his unique spoken word performance style has always been an object of curiosity for most people, but this song is one of those songs where he actually does sing. There’s a nice musicality to RSP’s songs that just really gets you going, and the fact that they have very socially relevant messages doesn’t hurt at all, either.



“Minsan di mo na mapigil mapansin na talagang wala nang naiiwan na pagmamahal...” One of the saddest songs ever, this is a killer by the APO Hiking Society. They’re disbanding this year, so it’s a bit sad for me to be reminiscing about this amazing group that has captivated the hearts of the Filipino people for decades.



“I’m not crazy I’m just little unwell, I know, right now you can’t tell, but stay a while and maybe then you’d see a different side of me...” This is an amazing arrangement for my favourite Matchbox Twenty song of all time.



“At first I was afraid, I was petrified...” the immortal words of Gloria Gaynor were given a lovely breath of fresh air by the band known as Cake, and ever since, I’ve been a fan of this group, especially since they use some brass in their songs, which I find very appealing in the middle of all the percussions and electric guitars of the modern music world.



“Nasanay lang sigurong nand’yan ka, ‘di ko inakalang pwede kang mawala...” Sugarfree is the king of sad songs in contemporary OPM, as far as I’m concerned. This is, to me one of their three best songs when it comes to that sentiment. I actually got very misty-eyed when I heard this song playing during the Dekada concert.



I’ve already supplied so many songs from the Itchyworms, but I never run out of songs to like from those guys. This is another one of my favourites, and I have to say that their harmonious blending is something sorely lacking in most of the local bands nowadays. They write great songs, they harmonize, and they are insanely funny. There’s nothing more you can ask from a band of their calibre, really.

And a couple of bonuses from some bands that can be among my favourite bands every now and then...



WARNING: Explicit lyrics! Grin Department is very notorious for their risqué and over-the-top lyrics. I love this band with a passion, but they sure gave me cause to worry when they performed during our charity show last year. I noticed some people walking out during their set, and that definitely made my heart stop.



Awesome, awesome band. Too bad they’ve disbanded. They have a bizarre sense of humor, and this song is their attempt at going commercial and mainstream. Heh.

No comments: