Saturday, April 24, 2010

Project 365 (114/365): Blast Off!

Before I keep up to pace and wrap up my backblogging, let me just say “thank you” to the great Jasper Blakeley, aka Kockov, who took the time to respond to my entry about him. It feels good to know that my personal heroes in magic and mentalism notice the meagre efforts of one of their most avid followers and practitioners.

.:114/365: Blast Off!:.



This is my dream routine. Something I really wish I had the resources to assemble and perform. It’s just awesome because it has everything I’d ever want in a comedy magic routine: visual gags, room for witty commentary after the first half of the trick, and of course, silly dancing! What more can you ask for, really?

Penn and Teller start it off like a traditional illusion: a slick performance that boggles the mind as Teller is apparently cut in three pieces while his three pieces eerily show signs of life despite being far from each other. It’s an amazing illusion, and looks very convincing if you’re not the sceptical type.

But this is Penn and Teller. They can’t just do something like that and leave it at that. They had to do it again, only this time, in full view of everyone how it was actually done. That’s right: they exposed yet another magic secret.

The fact that the song is sooo catchy doesn’t hurt, either.

No comments: