Wednesday, April 21, 2004

.:The First And The Only Time Thus Far:.


Abby and myself on graduation day...

I don't think that a moment like this would come again in perhaps a lifetime. In all the years Abby and I have been friends, this was the only time we ever had a picture together...

Ah, well. I know she'll be starting work soon. I hope she does well.

We Don't Need No Education:.

In the tradition of Great Teacher Onizuka, the Monster Movie Premiere last night was for Jack Black's top-grossing film “School of Rock”. I'd write a review about it next time, but let me just point out that unlike most films about kids, this one isn't the least bit annoying. In fact, the film is downright lovable, as there were no true antagonists in the story, yet the friction was already quite apparent. Truth be told, while I would definitely have to stay within some bounds as a teacher, that doesn't deny the fact that I still can do something that would make a difference... ah, well. That's counting my chickens before my eggs hatch, though.

Catch this film. It's really great.

Classes were fine. I like Dr. Dy's class on Chinese Philosophy not only for the lectures themselves, but also for the nice session of Shibashi after our breaks. It's some sort of simplified Tai Chi that really helps me ease my stress... that, in addition to calligraphy, are two things that I foresee hinder me from ever teaching this subject...

Dr. Dy taught for my Philosophy on the Human Person Seminar class, though. That was fun, as we started talking about the phenomenology of love according to Max Schaler, plus the discussions we had on morality and values.

Marcelle: So would a woman in her entirety be the value, and her looks be the "good" that you speak of, sir?

Dr. Dy: No. The woman in her entirety, including her looks, would be the value. The value of a human being. The good is elsewhere, inasmuch as two friends have a value of friendship. Whether or not they stay friends after years does not undermine friendship as a value, but undermines the both of them.

That, I can dig. In effect, values are immutable for Schaler, whereas goods can change. A person's looks, emotions and such, are all fleeting things. The value of friendship, or love, on the other hand, simply does not change, regardless of who has this friendship or love.

.:A Song To Contemplate Upon:.

Uninvited
by Alanis Morissette

Like anyone would be
I am flattered by your fascination with me
Like any hot-blooded woman
I have simply wanted an object to crave
But you, you're not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

Must be strangely exciting
To watch the stoic squirm
Must be somewhat hard telling
To watch them burn me shepherd
But you you're not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

Like any uncharted territory
I must seem greatly intriguing
You speak of my love like
You have experienced love like mine before
But this is not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

I don't think you unworthy
I need a moment to deliberate.


The more I think it over, the more I feel how much I really am in tune with this song. Yes, I'm uninvited, not merely in the literal sense. People who claim to be my friends, most of them just say that because it's a nice thing to hear. I know I've used this exact song again, but the meaning is heightened right now. Because I've had more than my fair share of "friends" who say I mean something to them. But in truth, I'm not allowed. I'm uninvited. An unfortunate slight.

Ergo, let's forget the good times, and recall the bad, true or otherwise. Let's forget that it was our fault, and only drop it all as though we don't owe any reparation. In fact, let us delude ourselves into thinking that they deserve to crawl back to us and we are merely being magnanimous to them.

Easy for us to do. It's not we who have a hole in our souls.

.:To Fun And To Frolic: The Unsent Series, Part X:.

If you have no idea what the Unsent Series is about, check my archives. It ought to give you a good idea.

Dear Fun and Frolic,

Marcelle has known you for the longest time, and he's always looked up to the both of you. It's hard to imagine his mornings without so much as thinking about how you're doing, how things are going, and so forth. It was a dream come true to be spending so much time in your company, to be hearing from you, knowing the things that you know, doing the things that you do.

But you see, Marcelle can't help but feel that he hasn't seemed to have earned your trust after all these years. You still keep things from him, and you still refuse to take him into your confidence, in spite of his fierce loyalty and reliability to the both of you all this time. That saddens him. That hurts him. After all, what harm would it be to at the very least regard the one person able to put up with the both of you in that way for so long without seeing a penny for it? Is it so difficult for you to trust Marcelle, as though his iniquities are so great and ominous?

Marcelle begs you to reconsider. Not unless of course, if after all this time, you never really saw Marcelle as a friend to begin with.

No comments: