Thursday, April 07, 2005

.:Today’s LSS:.

Okay, no early 90’s rap for today (Informer by Snow? Hehe.), but a song that really captures how I feel about being suddenly alone again…

Same Ground
by Kitchie Nadal

My love,
Its been a long time since i cried
And left you out of the blue.
Its hard leaving you that way when
I never wanted to.

Self-denial is a game
Its strange i never would've
Wanted if until there was you.

Because i have learned that love is beyond
What human can imagine,
The more it clears the more i have to let you go.

CHORUS:
What don't understand is why I’m feeling
So bad now when i know it was my idea.
I could've just denied the truth and lied
But why am i the only one standing stranded
On the same ground?

My love,
Its been a long time since i cried
And left you out of the blue.
Its hard leaving you that way when
I never wanted to.

Self-denial is a game
Its strange i never would've
wanted if until there was you.

Because i have learned that love is a
word gets thrown a little bit too much.
the best excuse to fill the infinite abyss
i have never have to if all else fail

If all else fail, would you be brave to see right
through me?(2x)


.:Claimed...:.

Treated my kumare to halo-halo yesterday. Razon's is still as good as it ever was, although the prices have jumped a bit. Grace and I were there with her sister, and of course, my goddaughter, Stephie, was as cute as ever. Hold food in front of her face, and she promptly opens her mouth to eat. Heh. It's really fun, to say the least.

.:Too Lazy For Cholo, But Not For Dakota?:.

I still haven't gotten around to reviewing “Love, So Divine” (With Cholo and the uber-hot Ji-Won Ha!!!), and “My Tutor Friend”, but I saw “Hide And Seek” last night with Grace, and I'm going to review that right about now...

As usual,SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

.:Film Review: Hide And Seek:.


Hide And Seek
One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, spoilers here!

We had a premiere of this film last Tuesday, but as I met up with Ranulf, I had to pass. Nonetheless, I've heard a lot of enthusiastic words about this film from my partner in WAVE, Gia, so I decided to watch it, regardless.

“Hide And Seek” starts off with Emily (Dakota Fanning) and her mom (Elisabeth Shue), talking in Emily's bedroom. On that same night, New Year's Eve, Emily's mom commits suicide, and her dad, David (Robert De Niro), decides to start anew in a different town. Amid all the trauma, Emily begins to have an imaginary friend named Charlie, and David airs out his concerns about his daughter with his psychologist friend (That girl who plays Jean Gray. Her name escapes me.).

As the story progresses, Emily begins to really creep the heck out of her dad and the people around them, albeit just about everyone in their town has enough quirks to keep you guessing what's really going on. Soon enough, “Charlie” kills their pet cat, and the girl who was fancying David. Clearly, there's more to Charlie than just an imaginary friend that Emily uses an outlet, and towards the end, David finally finds out.

He is Charlie. The trauma of seeing his wife having an affair has created a multiple personality disorder in David that turns him into Charlie. Emily becomes witness to this demented split personality, but doesn't quite know how to explain to her father what's really going on. When David realizes that after all this time, the moments he thought he was working in his den were actually mere delusions, he snaps and all that is left is Charlie. Before he manages to kill Emily, the psychologist friend saves her, and shoots David, or by now, Charlie.

However, the ending is equally creepy. As Emily draws herself and her new mom, they leave the house and the camera pans to her drawing: she drew herself with two heads, indicating that perhaps, she herself has a new personality as well...

First thing that occurred to me while I was watching this film was if one of the multiple personalities would turn out to be Jack Byrnes. Having recently seen De Niro in “Meet The Fockers”, he still felt a bit typecast in my eyes, but the way he carried himself through this psychological thriller was brilliant. Dakota Fanning's acting was likewise impressive, and goes to show why she's one of the top child actresses in Hollywood right now.

However, I have one gripe about this film, and it's quite clear what that is: the delineation between David and Charlie wasn't established well enough for Emily to be able to tell right away if her dad was her dad or Charlie. I didn't quite understand how that would work, and why a child wouldn't be able to tell her own dad that her dad has a split personality like that. It just seems completely implausible for what almost seemed like a joke to run that long.

Despite that, the chills were good for what they were worth. Truth be told, you can almost forgive the above gaff in the storytelling simply because the film was really that good... I definitely appreciated how the story was built up, and how the seeming lapses in time that have been happening to David were explained by his alternate personality.

Definitely worth a watch for those who want a very satisfying psychological thriller and haven't read this spoiler-laden review yet...

“Fun” Evaluation: A
“Critical” Evaluation: B+/A-

No comments: