Monday, March 03, 2008

Another Story Segment...

.:But It's Not Mine...:.

From one of Neil Gaiman's comics...

In this part of the narrative, the Dream Lord is in a competition with a demon. I guess it's a kind of "my metaphor is better than yours" kind of schtick, and the idea is to stump the other player.

As fate would have it, the demon makes the first move.

"I am a dire wolf, prey-stalking, lethal prowler."

The Dream Lord thinks for a moment, and the exchange continues.

"I am a hunter, horse-mounted, wolf-stabbing."

"I am a horsefly, horse-stinging, hunter-throwing."

"I am a spider, fly-consuming, eight-legged."

"I am a snake, spider-devouring, poison-toothed."

"I am an ox, snake-crushing, heavy-footed."

"I am an anthrax, butcher bacterium, warm-life destroying."

At this point, the Dream Lord realizes that it's time to take the confrontation to the next level. From the merely physical, the competition elevates to the cosmic level.

"I am a world, space-floating, life-nurturing."

"I am a nova, all-exploding, planet-cremating."

"I am the universe, all things encompassing, all-embracing.

"I am anti-life, the beast of judgment. I am the dark at the end of everything. The universes, gods, worlds... of everything. What will you be then, Dream Lord?"

The Dream Lord thinks. In the face of utter despair, what can possibly face the anti-life?

"I am HOPE"


I can't tell you enough how much I love this bit. Gives even myself some measure of hope...

No comments: