Wednesday, March 12, 2008

W-Wha?

.:I Call Shenanigans!:.

Despite the fact that I actually improved a paper I was asked to revise, I got back my paper with the same grade!

This professor of mine is really getting on my nerves already, because I know she's doing it because she thinks I'm just winging it, which is ridiculous simply because there are students who are doing far worse than I am in her class, and yet they get higher grades than I do based purely on her "perception" of who I am.

For someone who teaches how prejudices can cloud judgment and how it should be overcome when it hinders one's self, she's doing one helluva job of keeping her eyes closed to this obvious double standard.

.:The Obstacle:.

I'm trying to schedule a consultation with her, but in all honesty, I don't see what good that will do me. I'm enough of a mind-reader to know she's been itching to tell me all semester long that I should just give it up because I'm not meant for Philosophy, and this is based solely on her perception of me. It's a load of codswallop, and I know I don't deserve to have people judging my passion when I know very well that there's nothing I want to do more with my life than to teach Philosophy.

Does she have a problem with my other interests? Since when did my magic ever keep me from reading our readings? She's been working solely with her prejudices, and I'm incredibly incensed about it, because her prejudice is clearly going to keep me from finishing my Masters in time. I paid good money to finish my Masters, and everyone knows that there's little worse you can do than cutting me off from what I love doing: teaching.

Dear Dr. I'm-Better-Than-You-Because-I'm-Older-Than-You, I'd really like to point out that your radar may have a high accuracy rate, but it's never going to be 100%. You are severely mistaken if you think I'm just a slacker who doesn't give a damn about my work, because I take pride in what I do, and I take my Masters very seriously.

You won't deny me the grade I know I deserve. That I deserve to actually pass is the truth, and no amount of post-modernism and hand-waving can possibly erase that.

No comments: