Monday, January 10, 2011

Project 52 (2/52): When I Met You - APO Hiking Society

.:Project 52 (2/52): When I Met You – APO Hiking Society:.



I couldn’t find a music video of the song, so I hope that one works just as well. Either way, I’ve always been a huge fan of Buboy, Danny, and (sir) Jim, so it didn’t take too long for me to tip my hat to these guys, especially since my week pretty much started off with this song playing in my head.

“When I Met You” by the APO Hiking Society has got to be one of the best songs I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. There’s just something about its light melody and the very catchy lyrics that just makes one’s spirits soar whenever one hears it. It’s a great song, yet it’s one of the least demanding of songs in the videoke machine, so I always tend to go for it if I wanted to sing something well within my vocal range but didn’t want to sing Jose Mari Chan.

So here’s a tip to would-be serenaders: if you want to win the heart of your lady love, but you’re not sure if you can hack singing a song, you can count on “When I Met You” to bail you out, because the song is pretty easy to sing – if you skip the bridge.

In any case, close your eyes, give the song a listen, and let it take you away from the hurly-burly of the day. That’s what I did, and the whole botched trip to SSS just took a backseat to the music. So did missing out on visiting Don Bosco’s relic in Don Bosco Mandaluyong because I got there about a half hour late. So did losing to a deck I was heavily favoured against in yesterday’s Legacy tournament due to lousy draws.

The term “OPM” originated from APO, in case you didn’t know the term’s origins. That being said, indeed, Buboy, Danny, and Jim were pioneers of modern Philippine music, and through them, we’ve found our own musicality, our own voice, and our own rhythm in our own time. I’d love to wax poetic about the now-defunct group, but I don’t really have to because everyone knows that their contributions to the local music scene are legion whether or not I try to explain it.

So, yeah... this is definitely one of the most special songs in the soundtrack of my life. Have you ever given your life’s soundtrack any thought yet? I know I have.

No comments: