Monday, January 17, 2011

Project 52 (3/52): 'Til I Hear It From You - Gin Blossoms

.:Project 52 (3/52): ‘Til I Hear It From You – Gin Blossoms:.



The Gin Blossoms recently performed in Manila, and it’s really hard to ignore how popular their music has gotten, whether it be “Hey Jealousy,” “Follow You Down,” or “Found Out About You.” Overall, their music has really gotten over big time in the Philippines, and I may not be a huge fan, but their songs do resonate some with me, and this week, I ended up settling on “Until I Hear It From You” as my song for the week.

It’s a really heart-wrenching message, to say the least: a soft cry of desperation from a man in denial. Things seem fine and dandy, things seem nice and breezy, and even if everyone else is telling him otherwise, he refuses to open his eyes, because to do so would be to open himself up to a world of hurt. He’ll keep on going through the motions and playing charades, until he hears it from her: that everything isn’t actually fine, that everything is actually going horribly, horribly wrong. If there was ever a case of “what you don’t know won’t hurt you,” then I guess this is it. Not only does he not know, but he clearly doesn’t want to know. Just let him live a lie because it’s the only way he could get by until the harsh reality slaps him in the face, and he gets snapped back to reality.

Doesn’t it just suck to be the last to know? I guess being naive isn’t quite a virtue, but I always thought it was a good thing to assume the best in people rather than to look at them warily and think how they could possibly screw you over if you gave them the chance to. Wouldn’t it be more prudent to give someone the benefit of the doubt rather than to shoot first, then ask questions later? Well, that’s how it should be. Unfortunately, how it should be doesn’t always end up being what really is.

Definitely the perfect song to preface the third week of 2011. I guess if 2009 was bad, 2010 was worse, I should stop expecting 2011 would be any better. But oh, every single time something comes along, I keep thinking “this time, it’ll be different.” We always do. And then we still continue being surprised when it turns out it wasn’t so different at all. That’s the textbook definition for insanity right there: you keep doing the same thing, each time expecting different results. Stop. Enough. You should know better by now. But you don’t.

“’Til I Hear It From You” draws parallels to my life because I’ve always been like that. I’ve always been the last to know when everybody else already does, and this, despite the fact that everyone else who’s not so blind to see what’s clearly there is practically screaming in my face for me to just stop fooling myself and listen to them for once.

And you know what? Time and time again, I’ve never listened to them. I guess i’ve always been stupid to listen to anything – until I hear it from you.

Oh, well. As the song says, "I don't wanna take advice from fools." That's why I can't believe that I'm the fool again - but that's a whole 'nother song for a whole 'nother week, ain't it?

No comments: