Wednesday, July 08, 2009

June 6: L'Arc Con 2009!

.:The L’Arc Con 2009...:.

Was a blast. Though I passed up on a huge gig to host it, I still had fun because it was a really lively audience that greeted me and Fatima in Katips that night. Needless to say, I was overjoyed at being given the honor of hosting an event I honestly had next to no experience in and still managing to have the audience on my side.

I never really knew much about L’arc, much less J-Rock in general, but it was quite a fun event to host, because the audience was just so appreciative of all the efforts of the people involved. The bands were on fire, and even if I don’t recognize 90% of the songs there, the beat was still catchy and transcended language barriers.

I was one of four hosts, although Fatima and I teamed up again, just like we did for the Jack TV event a few weeks back. It was all good for the most part, until we got to the point where she decided to leave me alone onstage to ad lib without her help...

It was at that point where I started doing standup while the bands were setting up, and I couldn’t believe that my jokes were working that night. I have to admit that I was genuinely surprised at the reaction I got, because I was totally expecting to bomb that night, but lo and behold, I didn’t.

I even managed to have some quips that got over, especially the one where I told them that the fashion show was going to be 1% costume, 99% audience impact. At some point, we noticed only one group was loudly applauding for all the contestants, and I had to ask if there was some “Laruku Mafia” I didn’t know about. The reactions were priceless.

And of course, when the lead singer of Blasters was onstage, he looked so purty that I just had to ask him if he sparkles in the sunlight. LOL.

In any case, I also ended up doing the Lady and the Rope, and that naturally elicited a lot of big reactions from the audience as well, but none of my antics onstage could possibly match, what I believe, was simply the best band of the night, Dou’ Ahou, whose animetal performance of Daimos, Voltes V, Shaider, and a host of other themes really got the crowd on their feet, to a rousing standing ovation after their set.

With 14 bands, a fashion show, and a raffle, you can’t go wrong with the L’Arc Con. I had a great time hosting, and I’m glad the people were so appreciative, all the same.

No comments: