Thursday, July 03, 2008

If There's One Thing I Learned From You...

.:If There Was One Thing I Learned From You... The Unsent Series, Volume II, Part IV:.

Dear Lorenz,

When I think about the troubles I go through, and think about the pain I feel at my moments of sadness, I will never fail to think about you as well. You with the brilliant mind and the bright future ahead of you. You with the penchance for Derrida and post-modernism. I wish I didn't have to find myself in this situaiton, writing an unsent letter to you, but it's the least I could do.

We were never close, but I knew you, and I admired you and respected you. When we talked about you in Psychology class the other day, it genuinely felt heavy as Fr. Bulatao asked me to attempt to "reach out" to you. I have never done something like that in my entire life, but something about the situation compelled me to try.

While I personally pray that what we experienced then was not what it seemed, all I know is that a lot of people miss you. They say you don't know what you have until it's gone, and this is a stark reminder of that sad fact. All we are left with is a pocketful of regrets, but all that is for naught if we don't learn from what has happened.

As I think about the other people around me, I realize how short life really is. I realize how I mire myself in petty things, and take so many things and people for granted, I would like to take this opportunity to say that with any of the people who have had a falling out with me at one point or another, whether it be Divine or Alcohol or anyone else, I am burying the hatchet on my side. I want you to know and realize that while we are still alive, now is a good time to let wounds heal and move on without eradicating each other from our lives...

If there was one thing I learned from you, it's that life is too short. No matter what happens, life goes on, and we can never stop the world from turning no matter how important we may think we are. Not having you in our midst is a great loss, but as cruel as it sounds, people still have to move on. I learned that we can't accept being merely written off by not seizing the day, by not doing what must be done when the chance presents itself.

Godspeed your soul, dear Lorenz. You will continue being in my prayers.

No comments: