Wednesday, October 13, 2004

.:A First:.

Boarded with Pam for the first time yesterday, as she and George switched slots for the day. It was fun, for the most part. I was pretty much accustomed to how we did the show, and I was mostly having fun with talking about oral exams...

Marcelle: I hope my students can perform excellently during orals.

Pam: Wow. You have so much courage to say that just because you know sir Joe isn't listening to us right now, since he just left with a guy... wait...

Marcelle: That did not sound right, Pam.

At another point, though...

Marcelle: And so, our winner for the “Troy” gift pack is... Maribel Chua. Is there no one else? Is there no one else? Oh, right! We have another winner! Our other winner for What's Showing at G-Max in the Morning is Denden Uy. She wins...

Pam: ... a two-day VIP pass to Bodyworx Spa and Fitness Club, and a paintball coupon so that four and her friends could go and play paintball!

Marcelle: Wow. And yes the film was “Prince of Egypt”. Since she has a coupon good for four, she can let her people go and play paintball!

Okay... so I was rattling off movie lines in rapid succession... and you should've heard me giving away clues. It was funny.

Even worse was today… George is out again, so I’m boarding with JDa…

JDa: So. Your braces are problematic for orals?

Marcelle: Well, yes. But then, what can I do? I didn’t intend to be mean to her…

JDa: Maybe she just needed to feel fresh after that. And she can do that by trying Carefree Panty Shields...

So much for subtlety. She then launched into a casual mention of Carefree at that juncture, right after talking about orals…

.:Not The Orals You Think. Get Your Mind Out Of The Gutter!!!:.

Today's batch of oral examinations turned out even more interesting than yesterday's.

For one, we had a lot of fun talking about different stuff, really. Camillo was bugging me repeatedly by rubbing his foot behind my leg. It's scary at times... he was also criticizing my fashion sense. Oh, well. That can't be helped.

Still, the nice thing about the whole setup was how fun the discussions were. We had some really brilliant students here and there, and one of them, Diana Grace Uy, got an “A” for her efforts, as Dr. Ibana made this funny question about one's conscience, by asking whether or not a person who takes a horsey/bear/Fragelrock with him or her to class and asks it questions can actually constitute a conscience.

Camillo and I were laughing our heads off with that, because Dr. Ibana kept on asking that question, and each time, he changed the stuffed toy from a horsey to a bear, to a Fragelrock (Whatever the doohickey it is.). Even more amusing was how the students reacted to it.

I was mostly asking really tricky questions here and there, making the appropriate throwback to my debating days by asking questions that are mostly nitpicking on the student's own words in such a way as though it became a valid point of information in a debate if it were one...

One of the students apparently read my blog, and commented that she didn't like Mr. Bulaong either. Now, where the “either” came from, I wouldn't know. Considering what I've been saying on my blog, I better... cover my tracks with my students... heh. Not really...

It was fun, really. These oral examinations can really be quite an experience when the students taking the test are brilliant. We had a couple of them, actually. I felt that TJ Batan deserved an A, and so did Dr. Ibana, but Camillo handed the student a C+/B, which I found weird. Diana Uy was brilliant as well. And nice... no, it's not the family name. Fact of the matter is, the whole question about horsey/bear/Fragelrock became increasingly funny because we ran into Anton Sevilla carrying a bear around in the department...

I can't wait for next sem. I heard I'll have a partner who's female and... she's actually... heh. It should be interesting, to say the least. Don't be so disoriented about it when I get down to it...

Oh. Ran into Monix in the department, as well. Hope she did well with Dr. Barbazza.

.:Gasp!:.

I... made a student cry yesterday. I don't think I meant that, though. I simply asked her about Kant, without knowing that she was praying all throughout that we wouldn't ask her anything about Kant. I guess that really... shot her down, so to speak, but I don't think so. She actually acquitted herself quite well, in fairness, and she managed to somewhat satisfactorily answer my trick question (Although if I pressed the issue, that might not have been the case.) about universal laws (That is, if one can make universal laws out of one's career choices.).

Peppy insinuates I did it because the student looked Chinese. Of course not. I reiterate: I never even knew she didn't want Kant. Most people know that I heavily favor Kant, so of course, when given the chance, I'd gladly ask that question.

If she ever reads this, my sincerest apologies. I honestly felt you acquitted yourself well enough, and I don't think you have to be so hard on yourself. You did your best. Rest assured that regardless of your grade (Which wasn't so bad, mind you.), you certainly earned my respect yesterday by answering my question quite adeptly. I wasn't trying to be mean. Honest.

Hopefully, this doesn't start me on a reputation or something. Camillo's supposed to be the Simon Cowell of this operation... not me...

No comments: