Friday, February 20, 2004

.:Greatu!:.

I can’t believe this. I’ve been churning out over 50 pages a month of writing for my weblog, single-spaced! I don’t think I was writing this extensively last year. Nonetheless, I hope this upswing of quantity also translates to an upswing of quality, but I’m not the one who could be the judge of that…

Ran into Daph today. She sure looks even better when she’s wearing glasses, but I guess the fact that I don’t speak much to her sort of makes me realize that I’m not connecting with her all too well as of late. It’s not like we have a problem or anything, but the fact remains that how we stand with one another is not necessarily as good as I would hope it to be, and she’s not even part of the “four to go” bit I was hoping to clear before I graduate, though I’d have no complaints in case.

Nonetheless, I’ve been noticing someone in two of my classes for quite a while already, and she’s pretty nice. Her looks belie the fact that she is a bit on the shy side (Illustrated by the frequent consciousness she had when she wore something she didn’t expect to plunge that low.). Glasses, and yes, I was right in assuming that she was also Chinese. Her name’s Kim Lim, I believe. I hope she’s not related to Mark Lim, or there goes another Lim in the equation. Nonetheless, she’s a pretty nice person and all, although I suppose I never really got to know her too well. I’ve been quite the I.W. lately for people, so I guess I’m relegated to that role (I.W.= Intellectual Whore).

Ah, well. Things have been going pretty haywire as of late. It’s entertaining to consider that one of my classmates, Kyle, was someone I’ve known since first year college, but we’ve been dealing with one another better only now. I swear… there are just some people and things we tend to put off until we’re almost about to graduate/retire/expire. Anyways, no big deal, really. Just the fact that like >Elbert, my corny jokes get the same reaction from Kyle. Ah, well. Moving on…

.:How To Kill Brain Cells Really Fast:.

Try watching a Bollywood film. I swear, that film entitled “Lagaan” (“Land Tax”) has got to be one for the books. Take away the songs and the dances, and we have a story we’ve seen all the time: two longtime friends/lovers who face peril, and find someone from the enemy to help them. However, this person rendering the aid also has a yen for one of the lovers, thereby causing a rift between the two. Then, a stubborn ally turns his back on the lovers and exposes the betrayal of the third party to the enemy. Then, a happy ending. Or at least, I think this’ll end up with a happy ending.

The crazy dancing was simply over the top. I couldn’t rip the annoying images out of my head no matter how seriously I wanted to. And the trilling voices? Bah Gawd, even if they had a voice like Sacha’s (So help me. I’m biased towards small, anime-type voices.), I’d still want to strangle the voice out of that girl. We were too busy looking for look-alikes for the actors than we were figuring out what was going on. That guy in the lead looks a lot like Rob Thomas with a splash of Mr. Bean, though. On the other hand, the town seer could’ve passed for Rupert of Survivor Pearl Islands, or Hagrid of Harry Potter.

Fr. Nick said that what made this film stand out was that the dancing and singing was “justified”. So that’s what they justify in India. Here in the Philippines, they try to justify bed scenes.

My brain was turning into mush, to the point where I was making more side comments than there was sensible dialogue in the film. I ended up

So you want to remain silent? How about we make it three years?

Marcelle: Laban o bawi! (Fight or flight! How many times have I used that joke already?)

Anyways, this movie is admittedly a guilty pleasure to me…

.:That’s New:.

Unless my count is off, this is the first time Abby was the one to call me at home. It was usually the case that I’d be calling her. Not that it should really mean much to be, but there are still firsts after all, in spite of being in a seven-year long friendship… ah, well. I’m glad that I could be of help, even though it’s for I.W. purposes again… been getting a lot of that lately, which essentially means I’ll be perennially stuck on that ladder for quite a while with quite a lot of people. I can live with that, I suppose.

She asked me a similar question to Mr. Bulaong’s question, and good Lord, it turned things around! In the case of that person who took a grenade head-on to save a class from imminent harm, would this have made sense in Kant’s moral world? I realized that it actually would not make sense for Kant if it were universal moral law for a man to sacrifice his life in the face of imminent death for everyone else, because that would mean everyone would take that grenade. However, Kant isn’t consequentialist, so he’s not supposed to care if that were to happen, as otherwise, the maxim makes moral sense, in the first place.

If I were to accept that, then I have to accept that Jesus Christ’s sacrifice passes the universality test! A complete reversal of my answer would result because despite the fact that their intention, to save the world by dying for it, may not bring about the result they wanted, it wouldn’t matter to Kant. Oh, gee. Now that’s a surprise to me…

I don’t know. Talking to Abby has been taxing on me lately, because of all the emotions running high with graduation coming closer and closer each bloody minute. I jolly better find a way to stop myself from getting carried away by all these emotions. They’re not going to do me much good, especially since it’s not like I could pin my hopes on anything big at this point. I’m saddened, of course. But such is the result of what I have brought upon myself to begin with.

.:To Train Or Not To Train:.

The demoralization I’ve taken with Chico and Delamar has reached to a point where I don’t feel the least bit like training more often than the required once a week. I would’ve trained today, but then, I am way too demoralized right now, especially since it’s not like an additional training session will actually send me to level 5 status. I have to work on my damned voice. I don’t have that bloody foreign accent they want me to have, and much as I try, my r’s and my th’s still don’t flow too well. Ergghh. I guess I have to pass today. But you can be sure I’ll be on air on Tuesday…

.:Sitting In:.

I miss this...



Peppy finally saw the extremely painful-looking Bruce Lee attack. Anyways, he and Sach had a laugh over how I used the multi-threading trick for my Philosophy orals. Sach was inviting me over to her house on Saturday for chess day, but come on: you expect me to play chess, knowing how she’d probably hand my behind to me on a silver platter with ease? Let’s face it: she’s good at it. I’m not. I just know how to play. Maybe if she challenged me to Game of the Generals or King of Fighters, then I’d stand a chance. Ah, well. Such is the plight of going against a sapiosexual…

.:I’m Innocent!!!:.

Haven’t had a long conversation with *jaded* for the longest time, so you can tell that I was quite pleased as punch when I managed to. She was pretty under the weather, though.

Nonetheless, what I believe makes things rather interesting is the fact that the more she learns, the less certain she appears to be where she intends to head upon graduation. While my shift to going for Philosophy may seem drastic, not only is it not a done deal, yet, but I’ve been openly considering it for the longest time already, as well. Anyways, teaching is a very noble profession that I certainly would enjoy doing, even if I wouldn’t do it for keeps or something like that. Nonetheless, it was nice talking to JB again. She apparently did not know that the vernacular expression, “boses k***” (Which she used on Sacha.), is actually quite vulgar. Until I used the alternate term of “bopek”, she wouldn’t have gotten the idea. Should I translate this? No. Just keep in mind that they’re rather vulgar terms. So much for prim and proper *jaded*, then… heh.

At the same time, contrary to popular belief, I have no idea what bukkakke means. Really. I don’t.

.:Even Rarer:.

… has been engaging my girlfriend in a plain fun conversation for longer than half an hour. We’ve been so ruddy busy lately, so it was such a boon for the both of us to actually find time to simply talk to one another and just have fun. I was pretty happy talking to her like that, as it simply made my day so much better. Of course, at the same time, it meant that I wasn’t going to go training this morning (Lack of motivation also contributed to that… this isn’t my moral duty, after all.) with Chico and Delamar.

I will forever resent the MTV Asia Awards for incorporating into my head one of the worst cases of Last Song Syndrome ever: Gareth Gates’ “Anyone Of Us (Stupid Mistake)”

Sing it with me…

Anyone Of Us (Stupid Mistake)
by Gareth Gates
I've been letting you down, down
Girl I know I've been such a fool
Giving in to temptation
When I should've played it cool
The situation got out of hand
I hope you understand

It can happen to...
Anyone of us, anyone you think of
Anyone can fall
Anyone can hurt someone they love
Hearts will break
'Cause I made a stupid mistake
It can happen to...
Anyone of us, say you will forgive me
Anyone can fail
Say you will believe me
I can't take my heart will break
'Cause I made a stupid mistake
A stupid mistake

She was kind of exciting
A little crazy I should've known
She must have altered my senses
'Cause I offered to walk her home
The situation got out of hand
I hope you understand

A stupid mistake
She means nothing to me
(nothing to me)
I swear every word is true
Don't wanna lose you


Imagine our whole conversation being dominated with bursts of that song. I swear, it was hilarious, to say the least. Nonetheless, nothing much for the rest of the day, really… ah, well.

.:Because Of Eww!!!:.
Listening to Kyla’s rendition of this Keith Martin original makes me think she was disgusted at something while singing this song. The images this song produces when imagine in this new context is worth quite a lot of laughs, I tell you.

Because of eww/ My life has changed
Thank eww for the love and the joy eww bring
Because of eww/ I feel no shame
I'll tell the world/ It's because of eww...


Ah, well. She really does sound disgusted, especially towards the end...

No comments: