Monday, June 21, 2004

Gak! I had a long entry, including my book review of "The Da Vinci Code", but my silly diskette decided to conk out on me all of a sudden. I really can't help but agree now: diskettes are a bad way of keeping data... it just flat-out blows.

.:On Critics And Turning Things Around:.

I had quite a lot of nice comments this morning over the Yahoo Messenger while Anne and I were doing the D&G show. One of them was asking about where Rye is, then after I gave the requisite explanation, he proceeded to tell me and Anne how much better the show happens to be now, which really felt flattering, to say the least.

Joyce, Lawrence, Del (Not the one you think it is.), and a few other listeners were having a lot of fun over the chatroom, on the other hand, as they started asking me if the reason I didn't like the girl in the La Salle Scandal was because I actually liked the guy. Again, I went into a discussion of what I would like in a guy, with the requisite "Why the Hades am I talking to you guys like this?!?", which led them to have even more skewed notions about my... masculinity.

One listener voiced out his preference of Rye over me, which he retracted in IM. Lawrence said that he liked Jean a lot, and I replied that better for him to "like Jean" than for him to "like Kel", which just sounds wrong. We were all having a good time, really. For the most part, I'm a good sport when it comes to comments like that, especially since everyone in the room was joshing around, anyway. When Joyce started putting me down, I good-naturedly replied that we won't be playing her request anymore... heh. That was funny.

The standout for me this morning was this bit of "fan mail", though...

Kel, what r u doing there? Better take up some speech classes first! You are disgusting on air!

I decided to do something out of character instead, and what I did was to simply reply with this...

Thank you for your frank but useful criticism. People like you keep me on my toes and it helps. - Kel

Surprises of surprises, I actually got a reply from this mysterious critic of mine, and what I got made my day, without a doubt...

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I think you'll be a good DJ if you improve your accent, American accent. By the way, I'm Jen. I love WAVE a lot. Mwah!

Well, whaddya know? A nice word in their direction actually changes their opinion about me quite significantly...

Of course, I was off when I was reading this AOB when she heard me, though. I don't think I was that bad, anyway for the rest of the show. It was fun, really. We had a "What's Your Say" question about which crime one would want to commit if they happened to know that they could get away with it. Answers ranged from murdering ex-boyfriends to making out with a beautiful stranger to smuggling myself to China, to stealing the sword on Saint Ignatius' statue in the Ateneo. All good fun, really. I honestly think I was more or less "on" by the time I was done with that particular AOB...

I guess not all my critics are as bad as that "Good for AM radio" sumbish before...

.:Small World:.

While chatting with one of the listeners, I came across someone named Janus_23. He was asking a bit about our "What's Your Say" topic, and then he gave me his answers. I then told him I'd be reading his answer on the air, and he told me to read it as Janus Calara.

That made me freeze. Janus Calara was one of my grade school classmates whom I never was particularly close to, although I wasn't really having any beef with him or such. We then had a good laugh over how small the world really seems to be, considering how I wouldn't have known he was my classmate if he didn't give me his full name, nor would he have known I was his classmate if I didn't tell him my full name either.

It was all good, really. He had a chuckle over realizing that not every single Bosconian was a rocker, though. Apparently, he's been listening to WAVE for a while already, and he told me that I'm at least more professional than Anne's previous partner, as according to Janus, he was usually late and sounded sleepy. For the record, I have nothing against Rye, nor do I intend to. I'm not one to judge, as we have yet to cross paths, anyway.

Anyways, it was fun chatting with Janus. I have to admit that running into him, more or less having high hopes and having a relatively successful life really made me realize that we're two of a few lucky schmucks. Some of our more intelligent batchmates aren't really up to anything right now, in spite of their having consistently better grades than I happen to have had in high school. Nonetheless, it's all great for me. I had a good time talking to him as he apparently still remembers me quite well. I'd be surprised if anyone in my batch forgets who I am, regardless if the memories are good...

That whole bit came as a surprise to me, truth be told. I never really thought that it'd be possible for me to run into a classmate just like that.

Ah, well. That chance meeting really made this morning an eventful yet enjoyable one...

.:A Mental Note:.

Para sa iyo? Para sa iyo ay magkaiba sila? Subalit kung para sa akin, pareho sila, tama pa rin ako? Paano kung para sa akin, pareho lamang ako sa unggoy?

Hindi naman po...

This exchange between Fr. Ferriols and one of his students would've been funny if it didn't come before a lengthy sermon on how his students seem to refuse to understand what is being said...

No wonder he used to be a terror teacher...

No comments: