Thursday, June 10, 2004

Whoa...

.:Kel Bell:.

So I had to change my name in WAVE 89.1 because “Fabs” (A play on my family name for those who don’t know.) isn’t quite catchy enough. The night before, I was racking my brains, trying to figure out what name would suit me, as I really would want a name that means something to me if I’ll be in this for the long haul. There were lots of ideas, all playing around my name, although most of them just didn’t have a nice ring to it. Marcelle would’ve been good enough, but I guess that name is synonymous to RX 93.1 by now, as I’ve been known as Marcelle for quite a while already, and WAVE doesn’t seem to want that kind of association.

I was thinking of stuff like “’Celle” or “Kurt Benoit” or “Tony Jabroni”, but I really wanted a name that would really get over with the listeners, and that’s when I settled on “Kel”. Funny thing is, it only occurred to me when it was approved that this name could be:

1. Said by someone mispronouncing my first name,
2. A further shortening of Kelly, which is my cousin’s wife’s on-air name in another station, and…
3. Fits perfectly with Jean and Anne. Jean, Anne, and Kel. If you watch the Nick Channel, you’d know what I mean.

Anne tossed the name idea to sir Joe as soon as she could, and it didn’t take long before sir Joe gave us the go signal that “Kel” is a good enough name for me the next time I’d go on the air. Funny thing about all that was that the change was so sudden, but Anne pulled off explaining the change quite smoothly, and terming me as “reborn, like a phoenix”. First thing I said when we went on the air (After she said that the show is going to be manned by Anne, Jean, and Kel.) was that no, Fabs isn’t really gone. We had a lot of laughs with that.

The chatters were having a heyday with the name change, and were suggesting further name changes in the coming weeks. One suggested “Fabiollo”, which sounded rather… disturbing. Still, we enjoyed ourselves in that show, for the most part. Some of the chatters wanted to call me “Joe D. Mango, Jr.”, although accepting a moniker like that puts a lot of pressure on me. One of the chatters had a funny comment…

So if sir Joe is out, you can take over his show? Buti ka pa, may chance na mag “Love Notes”. Ako, ilan taon ko nang gustong gawin iyon, wala talagang pag-asa.

I hope to Gawd nobody tries to ask me if I’ve watched “Kel Bell” yet, though…

.:Dropping In:.

The self-proclaimed “Superstar” Dizzy Jojo of Radio 1 and All-Out Rollout Show fame dropped in on our humble station after his boardwork. He met Anne, and it was all good. He seemed very envious of the flat-screen computers, though. RX has good old desktop computers for the DJ’s. Two of them with only the newscaster’s computer actually connected to the Internet. The DJ’s comp is purely a console, which means all the info must go through the newscaster…

Brian Gomez actually wanted to drop by the station himself, but he was a bit under the weather. Ah, well.

.:Analyze This:.

We had an enjoyable show for the Drive & Grind today, which was accentuated by “Analyze This”, where we asked the listeners to translate this (I hope this is accurate.):

Tumatawa ang matsing sa buntot ng baka, bago’y hindi niya alam na may buntot rin siya.

Different answers came in, mostly working on getting the moral of the quote and translating it into English out and out. Others took to translating it literally. One decided to even use sound effects while translating it literally, and Anne was laughing when I read the answers because I did the sound effects myself. A little something I learned from a galaxy far, far away… but we all know that by now, neh?

I don’t think Anne forgot about the Ben Affleck discussion yesterday, though. When I told her about a certain local showbiz personality who might also be gay, she told me that coming to terms with the fact that Ben is gay was bad enough. She’s hoping that this local showbiz personality is really dating this girl, and not just using her as a front while he goes about having a fun time with someone else… someone else who’s male.

The portions of this show are pretty nice, considering that they’re relatively original. I’m glad that I’m more or less getting the hang of the show, as I know how to explain the mechanics of some portions on my own already, such as the TV Challenge.

.:Switcheroo:.

Jean and I decided to switch around the AOB’s we usually read, as we were used to her doing the “Summit Womanity” announcement, and I was used to doing the “San Miguel Beer” announcement, which seemed gender stereotypical (We had a funny discussion on that yesterday. They challenged why I said that the SMB announcement was for men only. I challenged them by asking why they said the Summit announcement was for women only, especially since I sometimes read Cosmo.).

The result was pretty funny, but one of my most hilarious gaffs came from reading the fairly long Summit announcement…

These stories will be seen in Cosmopolitan, Seventeen, Candy, Smart Parenteeeeng… I mean, Smart Parenting…

Anne was laughing her head off. Turning mistakes into comedy gold instead of annoyances is something I also learned before from the sources a priori. But you all know that. Funny stuff, really.

.:Hanging Around:.

The three of us stuck around the station after the show, as Jean was preparing something special for someone special, and Anne was waiting for eleven before she proceeded to lunch out with a friend. In any case, talks went to birthdays and all, among other things. We also heard about horror stories from former employees here and there, which sort of reminded me what I ought not do if I wanted to keep my reputation intact.

When I demonstrated a small magic trick to Jean, though…

Jean: First, Joe D. Mango, Jr. Now, you’re trying to be another Eric Mana?

Apparently, Eric Mana, another radio personality on WAVE, is also a magician on Studio 23. You learn something new everyday, so it seems…

They were asking me about my tastes in music, though. I have a pretty wide variety of tastes in music… more on that later…

Anyways, tomorrow is Jean’s last day with us at the show. I must admit that I feel a bit nervous about that, since that means I’ll be handling the stuff she used to handle when I started, but I guess a day or two would help me adjust. I’m grateful that she was around to help me get used to the system without screwing up much, and here’s to her finding success in whatever she decides to do next…

.:In The Galaxy Far, Far Away:.

I dropped by RX around an hour after our show ended (I also did drop by before our show started, but since Jojo passed by the station already after his shift, it was no big deal.), and when I got there, Brian Gomez and sir David (From sales.) were ribbing me that I shouldn’t be allowed in the station because I’m from WAVE. I actually passed by there to talk to Kimberly, arguably the best person to come out of Radio 1 for her batch, and she was surprised over the turn of events that happened to me.

She did press me whether or not I liked our playlist, though. I said that while my tastes are varied enough, and I do like stuff from Alicia Keys, and other similar artists, I did miss a bit of the alternative and band music that I usually had my fill of from RX. She did remind me of something that I suddenly craved for…

Kim: Oh, yeah. You guys won’t be playing your favorite, “Mariposa” by Sugarfree. That is sooo your song. You played it every single time you went on board for Radio 1.

Marcelle: Yeah. That, and “Unwell”, by Matchbox Twenty. Shucks… I suddenly missed those songs…

We had some funny dialogue about Delamar and one of her ex-boyfriends, though…

Kim: You’re kidding, right? Him?

Marcelle: Nope. They really were together once.

Brian: And he’s not yet over her, too.

Kim: But what happened with them? How long did they last?

Marcelle: I wouldn’t know. I’m too scared to ask Delle.

Kim: Try asking him!

Marcelle: But we have the same time slot! Oh, wait. I could text him... because you need to know!

And here’s another quip…

Marcelle: Why don’t we get a Radio 1 jacket? I just want a remembrance from Radio 1…

Kim: Hello? You’re in WAVE now! Go get yourself a WAVE jacket!

Ah, well. The wacky things we do in my former station… I’m glad I’m still friends with them, though. Heard other people have… stickier… situations when they leave…

No comments: