Monday, July 05, 2004

Let It Burn

.:Fellowship Once Again:.

I decided to pass by DWLS yesterday, as I had no classes in research in Philosophy. Nonetheless, I immensely enjoyed myself in the station, as I spent some time with JayBee, who saw Cecille's pictures already. She agreed with me about their looking alike, though.

Anyways, she was her usual cheerful self, (Although Abby, after our long conversation a while ago, was wondering if her speech patterns were contagious, as I was apparently botching up one comment after another, whether I sounded like a Cebuano trying to speak Filipino, or my short i's ended up sounding like long e's.) and in the middle of her board, we suddenly were informed that she'd be having Bellefire over at the station as her guests. Who's Bellefire? Don't ask me. Anyways, it took her five minutes to try and compose herself before the guests arrived. It was a bit too fast, if you ask me, but it wasn't so bad The trio were pretty nice, although they just simply didn't appeal to me at all. Irish women not named Andrea Corr don't interest me much, so it seems.

We were speculating that better guests could've been there though. I told her that if Usher guested there on her show, like she did with Bellefire, she should ask Usher to perform a sample for the listeners, except what he'd perform are dance steps for the listeners. Hypothetically...

JayBee: And there you go, dear listeners! Usher's dancing right now, listen! You hear the swishing of his feet?

I stayed around with her until about 12:45, as she wasn't going to leave the station while her gay friend Ron (Who reminds me of Lucky Manzano. Odd.) was about to have some sort of VTR at GMA. That was when I headed off to Powerbooks Greenbelt for the comics creation workshop...

.:Comical:.

The main premise for my showing up at the Comics Creation Workshop yesterday was to finally meet Jinky Coronado, except, that didn't quite happen. Apparently, she wasn't really there at all, and was currently in the U.S. Oh, well. Can't do much about that, so it seems. Dominique was laughing his head off about the idea, especially since the only Chinese girls in the workshop barring Sacha were all jailbait. No chance in Hades I'd go for that.

The workshop wasn't much, really. I wasn't particularly keen on doing comic books, as I have only one idea in me, and no amount of workshops could really give me enough time to do it. Nonetheless, it was too bad that Elbert wasn't there, though. I was under the impression he would be in an event where he was sort of part of, to begin with. The people there weren't so bad, so to speak. It's just that I was majorly disappointed over being denied a chance to meet up with Jinky Coronado... something hilarious came up from the talk, though.

Random Guy: Ms. Alfar, can you tell us of any ways for writers to get exposed?

My, I could think of quite a few ways...

One of the speakers, Carl, was pretty funny with his mannerisms, though, albeit intentionally funny. That “blah, blah, blah” of his really gets a lot of reactions...

Anyways, we went off to Timezone for a while afterwards, where Sach and I had a round each on Dance Maniax. The thing is, while I managed to do Double Mode with Heaven is a '76 Metallic Gray and All My Love, I sort of used that opportunity to do an exhibition for the people, more or less hitting all the twirls and triple-kick combos to their amusement. I didn't exactly look like I could do stuff like that, but there you go. Sach accidentally messed up the code, so she had to settle for a course mode that she hit the extra stage for, although she wasn't really enjoying as much as she would've had she actually done Double Mode... I did notice that Eric wasn't around again, though I wouldn't know whether or not he was invited...

.:To Do What She Must:.

Sacha then proceeded to tell the people in attendance her big announcement... (Roll call: Peppy, Carl, Dominique, Sean, and myself. Zeus came along after the fact, along with another friend of his, Arnold.) she's apparently tendering her resignation with Ateneo, as she applied to be trained in Japan for something obviously IT related. I was joking that she might be signing up to be trained as a geisha or a Japayuki, and of course, we had a lot of fun throwing that idea around...

Sean: Whack him for that, Sach.

Wrong choice of words there, Sean... ::winks:: This next line was even funnier...

Marcelle: Look at Peppy ::points to him:: ! Geisha!

Peppy: Shut up.

Nonetheless, the resignation would be effective sometime this month, and if her application gets approved (I highly doubt it wouldn't.), she leaves on August 24 or before that. Obviously, this will be the fourth straight year that she'd miss attending my birthday, although I really can't blame her for that, especially since I'm pretty happy for her rather fortunate state. I guess we need to hurry up the photo shoot for her FHM appearance, though...

After the fact, she would be there until February, and then she comes back, fixes up her application for the U.S., and pursues further studies there for around four years. Go her. It's really great how things have been turning up so well for her, although that old notion I once had that befriending Sach was a race against time is beginning to seem more and more true to me again. Just when we really started to get along and meet one another eye to eye on a lot of things...

I guess the idea of being separated from people who matter to me for an extended period of time daunted me more than anything else. While I believe that Sach should go out there and conquer the world as she does, I don't feel too keen on doing anything similar, though she may be my academic yardstick now. I may be a low-maintenance friend, but I still like the comfort of knowing that my friends are within reach if needed be, whereas being in someplace like Germany or London would certainly prove to be a challenge to me to keep in touch and balance all my other commitments at the same time.

Couple that with the fact that I sincerely want to work in radio for keeps, and you'd understand why it gets tempting to just finish my graduate studies here in the Ateneo. I won't be “conquering the world” in that sense, but I know I'd still find my niche and make an impact given my limited scope within only this country, although it's quite a wide kind of scope, given my two current jobs, which I hope to keep for a long time. Being given the rub and being regarded as some measure of an intellectual equal is definitely quite a boon to me, and I'd like to think that I'm making quite some headway in my own field of expertise, anyway. It's just that there's far less new ground to tread in the Philosophical or Communications world in contrast to Computer Science...

In any case, while I'd miss her terribly, I know Sacha would do her friends proud, as she always does.

.:Taboo:.

After a while, the whole crew, sans Dominique who decided to entertain some of his other friends for dinner, went to Sacha's house. Peppy took Carl, Zeus, and Arnold on his car, while Sean, Sach, and myself took a cab to her house. Funny thing about it is that we were already in a cab the first time out, and then Sacha's mom called, so we promptly disembarked from the first cab, much to the confusion of the driver. We had to meet up with Sacha's mom first, and then we headed to her house, where we played some Taboo.

I realized then and there that most of our minds were hopelessly stuck in the gutter back there, as we were really doing pretty good with a lot of questionable words, and Sean even used up a full minute trying to regain his composure when he was supposed to make us guess the word “tool”. You could imagine how difficult it was for him to try and think straight for the most part. Other snippets...

Marcelle: If you don't do this, you swallow.

Sean *instantly while not even looking*: Spit.

And then when I saw the word “thong”, as time was about to run out...

Marcelle: Something I like to see...

So it was the first thing that came to mind. So sue me.

We had a lot of fun with the game, really. I was racking up giving excellent clues back there, as I really knew how to make them guess stuff without using the forbidden words. It was all good, while Sach was busy trying to solve a puzzle book entitled “The Tasks Of Tantalon”, which I promptly asked whether or not it was denim or otherwise. Still, the fun part of the whole exercise was that we more or less simply got to have a lot of fun with Taboo. It was pretty challenging, to say the least. L5R clues were helpful with Sean on my side, but wrestling references bombed on me big time, as neither of my teammates had any idea who the Hades Bill Goldberg was...

.:Kathy, Ang Babaeng Apoy:.

After a while, Sach then suddenly disappeared and came back dressed in a black velvet blouse and stretch pants. She was apparently going to continue learning some fire dancing with her sister, Kathy, who has taken it upon herself to pwn me for most of our trip to Roxas Boulevard, the “scene of the crime”. Kathy was really into it, although I wish I remembered how she pwn3d me, as it must've had something to do with standards or something. Pardon me, but it's not that I'm repulsive and all, but her standards are really out of whack...

Anyways, we got there, had a bit of dinner, and then they started fire dancing, albeit Sach was doing the stuff without any fire. Only Kathy was doing literal fire dancing, while Carl and Peppy and I were just trading jokes for the most part. It was rather scandalous when they asked me to help light up the poi, though... here. Let me show you why.


This made an even BIGGEr impact than the fire dancing... ;)



People were really flocking to see Kathy go for it, especially when she lit her pois. Apparently, Sach was also attracting quite a crowd, who were eager to see her in stretch pants, all the same. A few other people who wanted to learn fire dancing (About three of them.) shortly afterwards showed up to meet with Kathy, and they were all doing pretty well, and only one had an actual “baptism of fire”, as nobody else lit up. Kathy's good with the pois, in fairness. It's just that the more I get to know her, the more I realize why she probably won't get married any time soon: she's too intimidating, and the only people who don't get intimidated with her such as myself, simply don't find her appealing at all.

If Sach and Kathy continue this, they can officially be the “Chua Hot Babes”.

.:It's Not About Revenge... It's About Punishment:.

We had quite a lot of fun with the running joke of the night, which was the Punisher tag line. It's about just a tad better than the Daredevil's old line, but any chance we had to use it, we did, which meant about a total of 28 times that we used that line. Some opportunities that presented itself...

Marcelle: I guess I just really don't feel any motivation to try fire-dancing, Sach.

Sacha: Why not, Marcelle?

Marcelle: Because Sach, it's not about revenge...

And then this...

Carl: That singer is really butchering those songs, isn't he? It's like he's trying to get even with someone.

Marcelle: It's not about revenge, Carl...

We had a lot of fun with that...

.:Showdown:.

After the fire dancing, which made most of us quite bushed and all, we went back and had pizza at the Chua residence. Anyways, the fun thing about it was I managed to show Carl and Sacha my laptop, which earned quite some looks of awe at the stuff I had on it. Carl did see the source of my basic Japanese language knowledge, though, with words such as dame, yamete, and onegai. Heh.

Anyways, we had videoke there, and it was pretty much fun. I had a notable performance with “Modelong Charing”, although the sole 100 of the night came from my rendition of “The Greatest Love Of All”. Peppy sang mostly Michael Jackson songs, and Carl had a pretty mixed range himself. Sach sang “Livin' La Vida Loca”, as well as “Kokomo”. I then dedicated “That's What Friends Are For” to Sacha, lest I never get the chance to do it again. Of course, some parts of the lyrics weren't comfortable for me to sing to her, but the sentiment of the song overrules that, I guess.

Oh, well. It was a splendid night. A bit depressing in some respect, but I'm grateful for the whole day, without a shadow of a doubt.

No comments: