Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Yay!


I'm a gangsta, baby!

.:I Can Breathe Now:.

The minor tempest on both counts has been weathered already. It was all a case of being “silly” and “unreasonable”, which is far better than a case of being “unforgivable”. Ah, well.

.:Progress:.

Apparently, I should've asked Dr. Rodriguez about some help for my work in the first place. He apparently had some good ideas, and told me that Max Scheler and Jean-Paul Sartre were good references to cross with Rene Descartes' notions about emotions and human freedom, considering how the latter attempted to grasp the nature of humanity through purely cerebral means. It should prove to be interesting, to say the least.

At the same time, I still don't have a mentor, but at least I more or less have a good idea where I want to go with my Philosophy. I wish I could do something exceedingly productive (More like... fulfilling. I don't know... write a book, perhaps?), and then maybe I'd get somewhere with my teaching career. We'll see...

.:Feedback:.

Finally, some activity on one of the literary boards I joined. Of course, only one person has been commenting, but I'm glad the person in question appreciated my poetry style. I tend to still stick to rhyming poems, in spite of the fact that freeverse is so in vogue nowadays... ah, well. The person commenting apparently liked “Of Seers And Bards”, as she seemed to have a lot of fun trying to decipher it here and there...

.:The Precious Blueberry:.

Sach and I decided to set up an ice cream day yesterday, and we initially thought about going for Shakey's, as we heard about their ice cream bar. Unfortunately, after much mathematicizing, we realized that unless Kendra decided to come along and help us make a physics-defying ice cream concoction, then we were not going to get our bang for our buck: the ice cream bar was a one-time big time deal. Considering that I had thirteen scoops the last time we had bottomless ice cream, and considering she had eleven, we realized that the best option was to instead go to Bon Appetit again and simply have their eat-all-you-can ice cream there...

Unfortunately, when we got to it, we realized that things weren't so great there, either. There were only three flavors available: vanilla, mango (Which we didn't like.), and ube (Which would make for purple-colored lips. Not glamorous at all.). As we didn't feel like fighting over what was left of the vanilla and for the sake of variety, we stepped into the grocery beside Bon Appetit and look for better ice cream. Dominique was on his way while we were having funny conversations left and right about her birthday plans and all (Which I won't preempt.), as well as my theory on why drizzling rain is more dangerous to one's health than “slightly pouring” rain (As if there's such a thing, which led to a small debate on the veracity of such a label.).

With that being said, Sach was keen on getting Crinkle, and I didn't mind at all. However, we decided to wait for Dominique before getting anything, so to pass the time, we dashed off to Shoppersville in order to see if there were any better ice cream flavors. Soon enough, I found an Arce freezer. I eagerly looked for my favorite Arce flavor, Blueberry, and felt disappointed as I went through stacks and stacks of ice cream...

Marcelle: ... ube, avocado, quezo real, macapuno, caramel...

Sacha: Errr... Marcelle, you want to move that glass panel? You're reaching over to the other side of the freezer already.

Marcelle: Gee, you're right. Rocky road, coffee crunch... I give up. There's no finding it here... pistachio, blueberry... I... hold on! Blueberry!!!

Yes, I found my precioussssss...

.:Shameless:.

So Dominique arrived shortly thereafter. We then figured out that the best thing to do was to eat the ice cream in Bon Appetit. Of course, this was being shameless, as we not only brought in outside food, we also brought in outside food from another grocery, and not the one Bon Appetit was part of. Still, the waiter was kind enough to let us get away with it, and after ordering a pizza, we just went off and went for the ice cream. Funny conversations abounded especially about the sad ending to last Saturday, as Sach was apparently stuck in school for until nine in the evening. Nonetheless, things were rather amusing for the most part. I think the kicker was that we were brazen enough to try eating the ice cream like that in Bon Appetit...

I more or less informed Dom about the apparent cessation of certain long-term plans in favor of more contextualized realities...

.:Self-Jealousy:.

Dom used to have this severe sensitivity about his craft that it didn't take much for him to get jealous about someone else's progress...

Dom: Hi there! You're a staffer for our college publication, right?

Girl: Yes.

Dom: Any new stories?

Girl: Yeah. Someone sent a couple of short stories...

Dom: (To self.) Oh. Someone else write stories. (To her.) Really? Why didn't you publish it?

Girl: The editor-in-chief thought it was so good that it can't be original.

Dom: (To self.) Omigosh! I'm sooo outclassed! (To her.) Really? What were the stories about?

Girl: Something about a guy fighting a shark and a romance story about spiders...

Dom: (To self.) Wait... aren't those my stories?

How many people have you heard ever getting jealous of themselves?

.:Hilarious Dialogue Snippet:.

Sacha: I was one of the judges for a contest in UA&P, and I think the Opus Dei people were shocked at the judge who was wearing a sleeveless blouse and a miniskirt.

Dom: I don't think I was wearing a sleeveless blouse and a miniskirt there...

.:Randomicity:.

Our topics last night were extremely varied. One moment we talked about cards, the next, about our future plans. Then our respective senior projects, and then how we managed to get away with commuting in lieu of taking our own car or something to that effect.

One of the most hilariously recurring topics was about wrestling. Dominique kept on asking me stuff here and there about wrestling, and Sach was completely clueless about what the two of us were talking about. Then, the fateful thing happened... like Pavlov, tinkling the bell for the dog to salivate, he asked me about X-Pac. I naturally told him his attempt to return to the WWE, his subsequent breakup with Chyna over that, and the fact that Chyna is contemplating releasing a sex tape of the two of them. The imagery of X-Pac doing the DX sign on the back of Chyna's neck is disturbing. And I'm spreading that imagery around lest I suffer the curse alone...

Topics were a bit off-color sometimes, but mostly still maintaining a certain amount of grey matter. It was fun, to say the least. Dom is a genuinely nice guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if what the future seems to hold for him does come true. I guess he's the one with the less duplicitous intentionalities, so I suppose there you go. That ought to speak for itself. Yep...

Funny way of describing wrestling though: the manly soap opera. Right, Dom. Two half-naked and sweaty men getting it on in the ring? Yep. Manly.

Best of luck to Sach for her audition at Eastwood this evening...

No comments: